DIY Hanging Planter

$100

With spring in the air, I was dying to add some greenery in our home. We came up with this DIY planter and we couldn't be happier with how it turned out!

Start with a 1x12 board

We used a 1x12 primed pine board from Home Depot. We measured where the middle of the board is and marked it using a chalk line. We wanted the overall height of the planter to be about 4 feet, so we cut the board down to that size. However you can choose whatever size you want.

Adding a chevron pattern with MDF

We used 1x8 MDF to create a chevron pattern on the planter. Using a miter saw, we cut 14 inch pieces with a 45 degree miter cut on one end. If it was for the left side of the planter, the miter cut was on the right side of the MDF and vice versa so the angled cuts line up evenly in the middle of the planter right on that chalk line.

Nail in place

Once the chevron pattern is all laid out, use a nail gun to secure in place. The ends of the MDF are going to be overhanging off of the 1x12... Don't worry, we're going to fix that!

Cut off excess wood

Using a circular saw and a track guide, cut all the excess MDF that is overhanging the 1x12.

Add Trim

Once you're finished cutting the excess wood, flip the board face up and add trim. We used 1x2 MDF around all four sides then secured in place with a nail gun.

Paint and attach planter rings

We decided to go with a matte black paint color that I applied with a roller. I also used a tiny paint brush to get into the little cracks in between the MDF. Then we attached four 6 inch planter rings evenly spaced on the board and attached with screws that came with the rings.

Spray paint the pots

Scored these inexpensive terracotta pots from Walmart for just $1.48. I spray painted them an off white color.

Attach hanging hardware

We attached these little brackets to the back so we could hang it on the wall.

Finished! You can also just lean it up against the wall instead of hanging it.

30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous

• Jen Miller Obenour

Can you link the 'liners' for the pots in the materials? I like this idea. Very cute but I too don't know how I would keep real plants from dripping on the floor.

• Laura

Glue pot bottoms on the pots leaving areas open for drainage into the saucers

• KateyV

All good if you have the tools... and the man I suppose. I'd put fake plants in there cause who wants to be taking them out all the time to water them?

• Valerie Jane

It's right next to the outlet, doesn't look like fake plants, what about watering?

• Brandy

I'm guessing she was talking about real plants you'd have to take pots out everytime to water.