DIY How to Build a Kitchen Nook

$300
1 Day

Hey everyone! In this How to I am going to show you a few ways to save money when building a kitchen nook. a lot of money actually because these few tips allow you to only need half the material. hope you enjoy it!

Another thing. this is a LARGE project BUT its actually quite simple. Don't let the size of the build scare you. its really just straight cuts and building a rectangle, i promise! plus most hardware stores will do you big (or all) cuts to help if your solo or don't have a table saw!

Find Your Spot!

I have the perfect little corner that hold a nook nicely, but I have also seen a LOT of "nooks" that have just one straight built in bench if you don't have a corner and they are super nice too!

Plan your space with tape

If you are not sure how big to build. Use painters tape and tape off before you confirm a size.

Tip #2 if you are still stuck i suggest building your bigger measurement. From all the designs i have seen, a longer bench always looks better then one thats too small.

Rip your boards.

Next I ripped my boards to 17 inches high and used the excess as the cleat I will add to the wall in the next step.

TIP: I am building around a base board heater so one of my front pieces will have small vents cut out on the bottom for airflow.

Attach Your Cleat

Use a stud finder and attach your cleat to your studs at the level that you chose for your benches. This is where you will later attach your hinge.

Sides.

Measure and cut your sides. If you are building around a heater then allow for the heater to be accessed. In this step you'll see where I cut out the vents on the bottom for airflow.

Storage Lid.

Measure and cut your lid to size. if you want your benches to have storage then set your table saw to 3 inches and rip the lid length ways , sand and attach a hinge!

Prime and Paint

Once everything is sanded you can prime and paint (or stain) your nook.

I used BIN123 primer its my favorite one I've used.

DONE

Your all done! Next DIY i will show you how to make these cushions for under 50$ without sewing!

• Heidi

First of all, I am thrilled that I found your Vlogs odor DIY this morning. I have had your project in mind for so long!!! I am now a faithful follower. I added my question to something who asked a similar question (#5?)

but decided to “customize” my question!!

Just love how well you present your projects!!! Nice work!! Also, What is you favorite Table Saw?

Curious about this. My Nook has force hot water heat vents exactly where benches would go. If I had them cut out (enough for benches),

I am not sure it would be enough heat. Can I put vents in front of benches that I work around?

• Cyndi

You could use the decorative metal sheets with cutouts to fill the openings to the size you want. Home Depot and Lowe’s both carry them.

• SONYA R LOGGINS

Could you make this nook counter heigh with the storage bench?

• Slinduer Gilliam

Oh, what a blessing you are! This came out perfect! I have been trying to figure out how to diy, a nook for my small kitchen corner. Thank you, so much.

• BPW

Where did you find cushions? Did you make them? I do t see those listed in materials?

• BPW

I was curious about the cushions also! I have a bench that was already made in my kitchen and can’t find a cushion to fit it. Did you make them?

• Denika Coakley

Hey! I ordered them from our local Fabric store Atlantic Fabrics, call yours i bet they have them :). they will cut them to exact size and I have extra firm density