A DIY Solution to Clean Black Kitchen Cabinets

The DIY Playbook
by The DIY Playbook
3 Materials
2 Minutes

I love the new black cabinets we installed in our kitchen. But if I'm being honest, I do have to say that our black cabinets show fingerprints, smudges, and dust. I knew what I was getting into when choosing this color, so I'm not turned off by this. To me, the gorgeous look of these cabinets far outweighs this minor negative.

Luckily, I've created a DIY cleaning solution and gameplan to combat these smudges. And so far, it's working wonderfully!

See what I mean about those smudges? Yikes. Because I didn't want to damage my new cabinets as I figured out the perfect cleaning solution, I actually used an extra piece of cabinet as I workshopped a few concoctions. I highly recommend this to keep your cabinets safe!

After lots of trial and error, here's what I came up with...

A combo of water, vinegar, and a little bit of dish soap did the trick. You don't have to be super precise, but here's how I do it...

Fill the spray bottle 70% with water, fill the other 30% with distilled white vinegar, add 2-4 pumps of dish soap, and shake well.

I even added cute stickers to the spray bottle so I know that this is the solution I use to CLEAN my cabinets :)

To learn the best way to apply this solution, be sure to head over to the full blog post. I'm happy to report my kitchen cabinets are looking clean and smudge-free thanks to this concoction.

You can also view more photos of my new kitchen there too!

Resources for this project:
Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.More info
The DIY Playbook
Want more details about this and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!
Frequently asked questions
Have a question about this project?
  3 questions
  • Kathy Kathy on Oct 22, 2019

    Did you use dish soap or hand soap? My cabinets need washing

  • Sarah Sarah on Nov 28, 2020

    what material are the cupboards..

  • Joise Joise on May 04, 2024

    Do you have a suggestion for light wood cabinets?

Join the conversation