String Light Posts and Planters

$200

As part of our little patio makeover, I really wanted to add some lights for all the cozy ambiance.

To start off this project, we got 4- 4x4x8 pressure treated lumber posts.

4” from the top and centered on the post, we drilled a hole and then inserted a metal o ring.

We placed one half of a cinderblock into the bottom of the pot to help the post to stand. In retrospect I think it would have been simpler to just use 4 L shaped brackets and secure them to both the post and the pot. Live and learn I suppose!

Build a wood brace

Next, Nate built a brace out of 2x4’s to hold our post straight and level while the concrete was poured/set.

if you were to use L brackets to secure the post to the pot, you may be able to skip this step. As we didn’t do it that way I can’t tell you for sure.

Make sure your post is level

Mix your concrete

We used quickest concrete and mixed it in an old wheelbarrow. Just add water to the powder and mix according to directions. Once it was mixed, Nate scooped it into the pot using a shovel. To help keep the post level, I held it while he first packed concrete into the cinderblock and then filled the rest of the pot until it was about half full.

Once the concrete set, we used a carabiner to attach our wire to the ring in the post. You could hook the wire directly to the ring, but by using the carabiner we can Easily take the wire down during the winter.

We ran the lights around the perimeter and attached each light to the wire cable to keep them from sagging.

We attached them using black zip ties.

I then decided to add some canvas flags that I made. I strung them across the center to help the space feel more intimate and cozy.

i know they may not be everyone’s style, but I love them.

Plant your flowers

After the concrete set, we filled the rest of the pot with potting soil and flowers.

we planted marigolds because of their vibrant color, but they also help keep bugs away. (Bonus!)

The lillies are a beautiful shade of pink, and all of the colors look great with the navy blue cushions of our patio furniture.

note: you could also fill the pots with decorative gravel if you want something low maintenance.

Before

Here’s a before shot, because it makes the after SO MUCH BETTER.

After!

Needless to say we are over the moon with how this project turned out. I can tell you already, we will be spending many nights out here with family and friends!

Before

After!

• Julie

Just beautiful! A job well done that I am definitely gonna try! Maybe some willowy fabric instead of flags! Hang them on the pole until you want to use them. I'm passing this on to my daughter. She'll love it! Thank you for the share and inspiration!

• Florence Crompton

Beautiful, what a difference a little hard work will do for you, thank you.