Flower Pot Uncle Sam

$40
1 Day

I'm excited to be hosting Hometalk TV again, and I’m making more seasonal decor with terra cotta flower pots! This time… a flower pot Uncle Sam! With just a few easy to find materials you can have your own nifty flower pot Uncle Sam in a day. This project is so easy that you don’t need any crafting experience in order to do it yourself. Check out my step by step guide and get started! You can see more of my crazy creations here

Prep the Flower Pots

I'm using 10" terra cotta flower pots. Make sure to remove the labels from the flower pots. Then wipe them down with a wet towel to remove any dirt or debris on them. This is important because if they are dirty the paint won’t stick properly. Let them dry completely before you start painting.

Paint the first flower pot

The type of paint you choose depends on where your flower pot Uncle Sam is going to live. If it's going to be inside, then you can simply use an acrylic paint. However, if your flower pot lighthouse is going to live outside then you need to use a paint that can withstand the elements.

I painted this first flower pot with Waverly Chalk Paint in the color ballet slipper.

I painted the rim of this flower pot with Folk Art Home Decor Chalk Paint in the color white.

Add A Face

When the first flower pot was dry I added a face on it using paint and marker. I bought a mop from Dollar Tree, cut the mop apart, and I hot glued to small pieces into his face for the eye brows.

Add the hair & beard

I painted Mod Podge on the rim, sides, and back of the flower pot. I added pieces of mop for the hair.

2nd flower pot

I cut strips from a vinyl table cloth that I found on clearance last year.

I added Mod Podge to the flower pot, and I pressed the strips of table cloth onto the Mod Podge. I continued to do this around the whole flower pot.

I cut the excess off the bottom and I hot glued the bottom strips under the flower pot. You could use a different adhesive depending on where your Uncle Sam will live.

I hot glue the top strips into the flower pot.

I added a coat of Mod Podge to the whole piece to seal the bottom.

3rd Flower Pot

I slid a toddler sized white polo shirt over the top of the 3rd flower pot.

I cut off the excess and hot glued the bottom of the shirt into the flower pot.

Connect the Flower Pots

I added silicone to the top of the flower pot.

I placed the shirt flower pot on top of the bottom flower pot.

I added silicone to the top of the shirt flower pot and placed the head on top.

Add Embellishments

I hot glued on a bow tie and a belt.

I hot glued on a denim toddler shirt, and hot glued the hands onto his hips. For the top you could add a hat or...

Plant flowers in his head.

He's great for all summer long - Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day!

I would love to have you stop by my blog   Chas' Crazy Creations  for the full tutorial as well as sign up for my latest creations, posts, recipes, exclusives, and more...

I would love for you to subscribe to my YouTube channel to see more of my crazy creations - https://www.youtube.com/c/chascrazycreations

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
Chas' Crazy Creations

• Kathy Grubbs

H0w do you make it stand alone

• Pat

God bless our President! Thank you for giving us Patriots respect thru your n' God's good works! Blessings your way thru Jesus Christ, Amen!🙏

• Tony

How do I get to my saved projects?

Tony

• Chas' Crazy Creations

Hi Tony! If you click on your profile picture in the top right corner a drop down menu will show up. Click "saved projects" and you'll be there :)

• Theresa Kassa

Can you tell me what size toddler shirt for the 10” pot? Very cute and will stand up well in our windy prairie town!