Asked on Jun 19, 2020

What would you do with this outdoor 40 year old homasote?

Holly Lengner - Lost MomChris ruizBetsy
+14

It is 40 years old and on the garage. Has taken on some water. Not sure if we should replace it....shiplap siding was suggested. Also thought about covering it with tin. The facia boards are already cut for the top. I don't think it needs anything fancy because it is just a garage but my fiance' disagrees. I would just paint it and call it good. Please help!!!!

• Johnavallance82

Hello,

Style the garage to match in with style of home. You know it makes sense!

• Unique Creations By Anita

For a garage, I am with you, paint it and call it quits.

• Homeroad

If it took on water there could be rot. I would replace the wood and give it a new paint job.

• I would paint it and then do some landscaping. Add some trellises for some climbing, flowering vines, like clematis, put shutters on either side of the window, and add a window box.

• Grace Gleason

If your fiance' is willing to do the work, let him.

• Nan W.

HA! I like Grace's answer! But, seriously, paint is the cheapest and easiest.

• Cheryl A

I think a nice color paint would make a world of difference and if you want to add more once that is done, then do it! You could add shutters to the window to give it more appeal as well

https://www.pinterest.ca/therenns/concrete-block-garage/

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com

I’m with you - just paint it! So much quicker, easier and more affordable.

• Janice

You could use the area as a "canvas" and paint a beautiful scene and include the window. This is a g reat opportunity for creativity. Imagine something like this or even geometric designs that your fiance could do using the block look. Think outta the box!

https://www.hometalk.com/34772941/wall-art

• Painting a bright colorful mural could be a lot of fun

• Mogie

I would think the first thing to do is to fix the water problem. We painted our cinder block foundation with Ugh Lock about 25 years ago and it is still keeping the underside of the home dry.

Once painted you could go wild adding accents or murals. You could even stencil it if you wanted to.

Check out amazon.com by typing outdoor wall art into the search bar. Page after page of results.

If your fiance is willing to pay and/or do the work, let him. I would just clean it and paint it. Paint the trim boards one color and the siding another. Would make a difference and impact.

• Dee

I am with you Kati. Paint it and give the trim a coordinating color and call it good.

Hi Kari: I'm with you, paint, new fascia wood and maybe replace the window with something nicer. Good luck

• Chris ruiz

Agreeing with others who said address the water issue first, then a troweled on thin stucco-like finish would look nice! Add color if you’re not happy with the way the stucco dries. A trellis with a climbing vine/rose could dress it up!

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

Check for water damage and then power wash & paint. I agree that a trellis could be a good idea.