Update Your Light Switch Plates With This Simple Paint Pour Project

$10

Looking for a fun way to personalize your home? This paint pour project is the perfect solution if you’re feeling crafty but don’t want to commit to a long, arduous project. These custom light switch plates are sure to brighten your home. In this tutorial I’ll show you two different color schemes, one that is bright and loud, and another that is more subdued but no less stunning. An added bonus to this project is that you can get two projects in one, by making a paint pour canvas at the same time. Intrigued? Check out my step-by-step guide below to make your own!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Tools and Materials

Tools and Materials:

• Light switch plates
  • Canvas (this isn’t totally necessary, but it’s fun to get two projects in one with this paint pour)
  • Acrylic pouring paint
  • Small bowl
  • Cup

Prep the Paint

Prep the Paint

In order to do a proper paint pour, you need to mix the paint in a separate bowl beforehand. I poured various colors into a small bowl, pouring each color into the center of the last. 

Pour the Paint into the Bowl

I also propped my light switch plate up on a cup on top of a canvas. That way, the overflow can be used to create a paint pour picture on the canvas as well. Two projects for the price of one!

Pour the Paint

Pour the Paint

There is no specific technique that you need to do for this. I started by pouring in the center and working in a circular motion. 

Continue Pouring

Pour onto Canvas

Once I was happy with the design on my light switch plate, I poured the remaining paint directly onto my canvas.

Repeat

I repeated the process with some lighter colors on the other light switch plate. 

Tilt the Canvas

Tilt the Canvas

I lifted the light switch cover up carefully using the cup underneath it and then tilted the canvas a bit to spread out the paint.

Tilt Off Excess Paint

Tip:

If the paint is too thick on your canvas it will crack, so even if you are happy with the design, it’s still important to tilt it to remove excess paint.

DIY Paint Pour Canvas

Then I left everything to dry completely.

DIY Paint Pour Light Switch Plate

DIY Decorative Light Switch Plates

That’s all there is to it! I plan on hanging the canvases I made near their matching light switches for some fun homemade artwork. What colors would you use on this project? Let me know in the comments below!

Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas