How to Fill LARGE Pots!

$2

Hi, I'm Amber Oliver! I hope if you enjoy this project you'll also stop by my blog!

Mo' plants, mo' problems, right? Well my problem was wanting LARGE planters on my patio! The problem was they were then WAY too heavy for me to move if needed AND it was expensive to fill those big pots with soil! So I have a little hack for you!

These were the tall pots I wanted to use. They would have taken several bags of soil to fill from the bottom to the top. Since I didn't need that much soil, I added a few of these:

EMPTY MILK JUGS! Re-use those empty plastic containers in your garden pots!

I added this empty jug at the bottom of my pot and so it would take up a bit of space AND not add anymore weight to the pot!

Add your soil in over the top, then plant your flowers, etc. on top!

I hope you enjoyed this super easy, gardening hack! Save money, make life a little easier, AND do an upcycle that helps that planet. Win, win my friends! Thanks for reading!

If you LOVE this project, please check out my OUTDOOR archives!

Amber Oliver

• CJ

Doesn’t that make the pot top heavy?

• Flipturn
      7 hours ago

Yep, that would add weight. Just remember to remove the jug and water before the temperature freezes in the winter, otherwise the jug could explode and break the pot.

• Pat in VW

How long does it last? I would think that after time the jug will collapse.

• Flipturn
      7 hours ago

Pat's question refers to the jug collapsing in on itself due to the weight of the dirt above and around it, and therefore, lowering the height of the dirt in the pot. It was not referring to the plastic decomposing.

• Margaret Howard

Excellent idea! Thank you😊

• Mar30427388

If your pot is wide, you can also use empty liter or half liter bottles to take up space.

• Jeanne B.
    Yesterday

I used foam packing peanuts and cut up any foam egg cartons or the foam trays that food is packaged in. Works great!

• Carolyn
      30 minutes ago

You might even be able to cut open egg cartons to sort of create a flat surface inside pot to keep most of soil above light-weight space. Really like this idea, can even use multiple water bottles to fill in that lower space even better.