Repurposed Laundry Hamper Planter

$13

It's so easy to take a beat up wicker laundry hamper and turn it into something cool, like a repurposed planter.

My local Habitat for Humanity Restore recently reopened, and I found this wicker laundry hamper for just two dollars.

It's a little beaten up, but for this project that didn't matter. There's nothing that a little spray paint love won't cure.

It's actually a rather small laundry hamper, so I don't think I would even use it as that. It would fill up pretty quick.

So it's a great candidate for a makeover and a repurpose.

The first thing I did was get rid of the wooden lid by removing the hinges.

I'll repurpose it some time in the future.

The silver metal handles were in good shape and I liked the color so I'm keeping them natural.

I covered them with painter's tape to protect them from the spray paint.

I gave the areas that needed it a good sanding to get rid of any loose paint, and also to flatten down the hinge areas.

Check out this action shot. lol. Love this aqua color.

The spray paint covered beautifully. I did three two light coats, and then removed the painter's tape from the handles.

I love silver and aqua together. 

Then I needed some kind of insert to put into my laundry hamper planter because I really didn't want to put the soil and plant right in there, and I lucked out purely by accident.

I was in my craft studio wondering what the heck I was going to use, and I threw something into my garbage can.

And Voila... it was the perfect size.

I spray painted the top area inside and out so it would match with my laundry hamper planter, and then I filled it with potting soil.

I didn't put a hole in the bottom for drainage because this is a deep garbage can. If I water carefully it shouldn't be a problem.

You could also put some kind of filler, like gravel or styrofoam puffs, in the bottom of the garbage can, but I didn't think that was necessary either.

The easiest way to put together a lovely planter is to buy a pre-done hanging basket.

I just removed the plant from the plastic container and placed it into the garbage can. Then I filled around it with more potting soil.

I think it's important to have things around us, inside and out, that are pretty and that bring us joy.

And here's my finished repurposed laundry hamper planter.

This is really a quick and easy way to have some fun with flowers. I love using unusual things as planters.

If you enjoyed this project you can find more Repurposed Planters on my blog here.

15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
Color Me Thrifty

• Heather Lee
    Heather Lee

Simply love your project! I can’t wait to make this! Any other ideas for repurposed planters?

i also need some smaller ideas for indoor plants.

• Vicki F
    Vicki F

I have several white Styrofoam containers. Could they also be planters? What kind of paint should I use for patio?

Vicki F