Make a Bright, Colorful Moroccan Side Table for Your Home

$30

Need to take that plain wooden side table up a notch? Make it Moroccan! In this tutorial I’ll show you how to create a stylish Moroccan side table that will quickly become a conversation piece. This technique can be used to create a variety of designs, so you can apply it to any project you want! Ready to make a side table worth of resting your morning coffee on? Follow my step-by-step tutorial below to get started today!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Tools and Materials

Tools and Materials:

• Wooden side table
  • Dish soap
  • Sponge
  • 220 sanding sponge
  • Offset spatula
  • Ready mixed drywall compound
  • Stencils
  • Country Chic Paint
  • Paint brush
  • Stencil brush
  • Topcoat

Clean It Up

Clean with Soap

Before I could get started I needed to thoroughly clean my surface. I mixed some dish soap with hot water and scrubbed the surface of the side table with a sponge.

Wipe Clean

Once I had cleaned everything off, I removed all of the soap using clean water and paper towels. It’s very important to remove all of the soap. 

Sand

Then I sanded it with a 220 sanding sponge. Sanding the surface will help the paint adhere better later on.

Add Some Texture

Add Some Texture

Using an offset spatula, I spread a layer of ready mixed drywall compound over the top of the table. 

Apply Drywall

I spread it unevenly over the entire surface. It’s important to keep the texture produced by spreading it with the spatula.

Add Texture

Then I went back with the spatula and pressed it down into the drywall compound and lifted to create peaks.

Smooth Over

Next I went back over the peaks I had created and lightly brushed over them, to create a dragged effect. I made sure to do this in a few different directions to make it look random. Once I was happy with the texture, I left it to dry completely overnight. If you want to speed up the process you can use a hairdryer. I also used this time to paint the legs of the table.

Sand

Sand Again

Once everything was dry I lightly sanded the top of the table and then wiped off any dust. 

DIY Textured Table

Stencil

Stencil

How you do this part is totally up to you, but I chose to work with two smaller stencils for my design. 

Spread the Drywall

I placed them randomly on the table and spread a layer of the drywall compound over them, creating a raised stencil effect. For this part, I aimed for a very even, smooth texture so that the stencil would stand out against the textured background. 

Remove the Stencil

I repeated this process all over the table with both stencils, randomly placing them. Then I had to let it completely dry once again.

Repeat

Paint

Paint

I liberally applied paint to the entire tabletop, making sure to fill in every nook and cranny. Then I once again left it to completely dry.

Mix Paint and Water

Once it was completely dry I painted it black. I mixed black paint with a bit of water to water it down a touch. 

Add a Thin Layer

Tip:

If you’re working with a chalk based paint you may want to add a top coat to your table before painting it black. This will stop it from being pulled up in the next step. 

Wipe It Down

Wipe It Down

I gave it a few minutes to dry a touch, and then wiped it down using a paper towel. This pulled a lot of the black off the surface and emphasized the texture I had created with the drywall compound.

Continue Wiping

In between wipe downs I sprayed the paper towel with some water and continued wiping down. I have found baby wipes to be a bit too wet for this project, so I chose to control the wetness of the paper towel by spraying with water as needed.

Highlight the Stencil

Highlight the Stencil

I lay the stencil back over where I had stenciled previously with the drywall compound, and randomly pounced over it. I didn’t want to fully cover the entire stencil, so I made sure to leave some bits unpainted.

DIY Stenciled Table

Seal

Seal

My Moroccan table will be living outside, so I added a topcoat to protect it from the elements.

Moroccan Side Table

I’m really happy with how this table turned out. It’s completely weatherproof and the perfect spot to rest my cup of tea while reading a book under my gazebo. How would you use this technique? Let me know in the comments below!

24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
Julie McDowell - Design Artist

• Lorraine

can this be done on clay pots or metal cans or plastic pots?

• Debbie

Very cute.

• Sylvia Packer McClain

I love it. Brilliant. I have been wanting to do something like this for a long time. But my table would be indoors. I saw you put a flower vase and a cup of tea on it. I was wondering if things sit steady or if they wobble. I saw this same element done on a side table in a furniture store. They wanted a fortune for it.

• Doreen Kennedy

I’m wonder if pouring epoxy on top would smooth the table surface. I’ve never tried this technique, but I have used a piece of glass with sanded edges on a small white washed table.