Upcycled Shutter Decor

$50

Not too long ago on one of my thrifting adventures I found a couple of wall decor shutters. They were different colors and had different cut outs but I knew I could do something with them.

Cleaning

The first order of business was cleaning the shutters. I used Simple Green Cleaner, a sponge, and a bucket of clean water for rinsing.

Measure for new insert

I didn't like the cut outs and I wanted the shutters to match. I had some leftover bead board in my supply stash and knew that would be perfect. I first placed a piece of painters tape above the cut out space and then measured the width and height needed. I also marked the center.

Measure the Bead Board

Since bead board has grooves, I wanted to make sure there was a groove in the center. I removed the tape I had marked and placed it on the bead board. After marking all of the cutting lines, my handy hubby cut the board using a table saw.

Measure Backer Board

I didn't want the original cut out to show on the back. To hide it, I used a leftover piece of hardboard from an old poster frame. The board was measured, marked, and cut with the table saw.

The bead board and backer board were not attached yet. I wanted to paint the shutters first.

Priming

I wanted the shutters to match in color. I primed them with 2 coats of spray primer. After they dried, I lightly sanded the rough surface. I wiped them down with a microfiber cloth.

Painting

Next, I painted them with 2 coats for Dixie Belle Paint in the color Cotton.

Dry Brushing

To add color, I decided to dry brush using Dixie Belle Paint in Vintage Duck Egg. I brushed over them using a chip brush which helped the white paint peek through. For this project, I did use heavier coats than the usual dry brushing technique calls for.

Waxing

To seal the paint, I used American Decor Creme Wax in White. I applied the wax with a waxing brush and then wiped it down with a microfiber cloth. This toned down the Vintage Duck Egg color and it was perfect.

Inserting the Bead Board and Backer Board

To hold the boards in place, I applied Gorilla Glue over the cut out sections and then place the boards into the spaces. I used clamps to insure the boards would be secure.

Adding a Hook For a Wreath

I wanted to add a wreath in the bead board section. To do so, I needed something to attach the wreath. For this, we found Low Volt Staples in white. This worked out great. They were easy to tap into the bead board and allowed me to run jute twine in them to attach the wreaths.

Wow! They look so much better now! I love the new look!!!

30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants