Hairpin Leg Desk From an Old Shutter

$50

As we continue to wade through the uncharted waters of "school at home," you may have found yourself in need of a new desk. Using this quick DIY desk tutorial you'll be set up for success in no time.

I had been gifted a few old shutters that my parents had removed from their house. They were still in great condition, and the perfect size for a small desk top.

If you don't have any old shutters lying around, this would be simple to assemble with some basic boards or a cut of 3/4" plywood.

Prep your surface

I chose to re-paint the shutter so I gave it a good cleaning with a pre-paint TSP cleanser. This ensures that any paint will bond well.

Paint

I used a fun shade of green Fusion Mineral paint to paint the shutter. This particular paint is great because it requires minimal prep work, covers really well with 1-2 coats, and once it's cured doesn't require any sort of topcoat.

Once the surface was painted, I simply attached a set of hairpin legs to the four corners of the underside of the shutter.

I used this particular set of hairpin legs. It came with the screws to attach it as well.

Attach the legs

Add a chair and the necessary accessories and you're all set up!

Be sure to check out how I set up our family command center too through the blog link below.

31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
Jessica | The Martin Nest

• Kverbanic

No need for a desk, yours is " simply inspirational", however. What I'd like to know is, where did you get that awesome file hanger?? I'd love to have one.

• Kverbanic

LOL....I had suspected it was a Target find. Thanks for info!

• Mary Coakley

Great 👍 table.perfect.fit

• Joanie

Perfect desk and color! It is amazing the things that can be made from an imagination!! I love it.....