DIY Chalkboard Made From An Old Mirror Fame

$20

Everyone needs a chalkboard or two. They're great for kids rooms and kitchens. You can make shopping lists and to-do lists. The hubby always appreciates the to-do lists, lol.

This chalkboard project was so much fun. And it's not just a chalkboard! I added decorative knobs to hang jewelry or whatever. The project started with an old dresser mirror frame.

Now that's a chalkboard. The pretty chalked flowers were made using a stencil and erasable liquid chalk.

Find A Wood Frame

The chalkboard frame came from my favorite junk shop. The price was $5. Win-Win. The frame was once a mirror holder for a vintage dresser.

Make Repairs If Needed

The hubby got in on this project. He removed the wood thingies on back that held the mirror to the dresser. Then he cut the "wings" from the mirror frame.

Distress And Clean The Frame

The white frame was yellowed. I like to distress paint so that's what I did. The sanding with a power sander removed most of the yellowing and distressed the edges of the frame nicely.

The final step before putting everything together was giving the piece a good cleaning.

Add Knobs For Hangers

Next I drilled holes in the bottom piece and added pretty knobs to hang jewelry or whatever.

Add The Chalkboard Panel

Did you know you can buy chalkboard panels at your local hardware store? Yep, no need to buy chalkboard paint and wood. Saves a step.

We cut the chalkboard panel to size and nailed it to the back of the mirror frame.

Hang The Chalkboard

We added a simple wire hanger by attaching the wire to the screw keys on either side of the frame where the sides of the chalkboard frame are attached to the larger frame.

No need to add a hanger or more screws to the back.

And that's that. Take a step back and admire your work.

I made another mirror frame chalkboard hanger and painted it turquoise. See it here.

25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
Kathy Owen | Petticoat Junktion

• Mary Chacon

How do I make a chalk board

• Karen Hyde

I made a 14x 20" chalkboard with a 2 oz bottle of blackboard paint from the craft paint section. Got 4 coats out of it. If using the bottle paint, apply with a roller as brush strokes will be permanent. Have fun!

• Carol Goins

Love this!

• Susan

I have that exact mirror! I won't part with it. It's attached to the dresser. I do want to paint the dresser but I'm leaving the mirror alone. I have two of the original wooden wheels. I like what you did alot but I just can't part with removing the mirror as it has aged.