Witch's Hat Topiary DIY

$15

Witch’s Hat Topiary DIY, create a fun front porch with this idea. All you need are a few items found at your local craft store.

This is one of those rainy Saturday projects that only take a few hours to complete. Follow these easy steps to make your own Halloween witch’s hat topiary DIY. 

Supplies:

• Witch’s hat
  • Wide wired ribbon
  • Large flower
  • Small flower
  • Grasses/greenery
  • Hot glue
  • Hot glue gun

Start with a basic hat that can be found at any store that sells Halloween costumes.

Step 1- Create the flower adornment

Use a piece of thin cardboard for the backing. I used the end of a ribbon spool. It was cheap, it was the right size. It was there.

Create a bow by making a loop and securing it with hot glue. Gently pinch the middle and use a craft/floral wire to create the bow.

Hot glue grass to the backside of the cardboard backing. Glue the bow to the front of the cardboard backing.

Glue leaves to the front to fill out the flower adornment. Can you see the printing on the cardboard circle? I wasn't kidding - ripped it (gently) off the ribbon spool.

Finally, glue the large flower in the middle of the bow. Add the little flower right below to the side. Like the following picture. I am so sorry I did not get a picture of adornment before it was glued onto the hat, but it is super easy to see placement.

Step 2- Band the Witch’s hat

The wired ribbon will be too wide to easily wrap around. Fold the ribbon in half and hot glue around the hat to secure – just enough to wrap around the hat.

*Only fold and glue the amount of ribbon needed to wrap around the hat- you want the wide ribbon ends to be flat - makes for a "showier" hat.

I used a buckle to help keep the band flat but you can do this with out it- would require a little more glue where the ribbons cross.

Hot glue the floral adornment to the middle.

Step 3 – Add ties to secure 

Add ribbon ties, with you, guessed it… hot glue, on the hat to make it easier to secure to the topiary.

I glued my ties a little back from what would be the hat's center, I didn't want the ties to show - just to be added security. I wrapped, tied and tucked the ribbon on the backside of the topiary.

For additional fun, pick up cute letters at the craft store and paint. I painted a layer of flat black acrylic paint and then added Rub n Buff copper and gold for a little more oomph.

To add a little more creepy to the topiaries, I draped the garland I found at the  craft store to the front. Kinda has that “been out in the swamp a little too long” look. 

I love a Happy Halloween front porch 

and 

hey, if you are in need of a quick costume – grab the hat!

Follow me on Instagram for more fun projects @theaspiringhome_

Till Later friends,

Joy

The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
Joy

• E95656
    Yesterday

So pretty!

• Eliza
    Just now

•••••••••••• 🟣 Joy 🟣••••••••••Adore the crisp deep violet against black white stripes...got ∅ bucks but can cut out the 'boo' from cardboard boxes & paint them. If I find the witches hat at the dollar store it's a go ahead

~~~~~~~ Eliza 🌹~~~~~~~