How To Paint Tile Floor (With Stenciling)

$100

Are you wondering “can you paint a tile floor?” The answer is YES! Learn how to paint tile floor in your bathroom for a cheap and easy DIY!

If you love this project, grab your quick start DIY guide & subscribe to our blog!

Say WHAAAAT?!? Maybe you’re wondering “can you paint a bathroom floor?” And the answer is YES, my friends!

Step 1: Remove old caulk.To remove old caulk, use a sharp utility knife to score the edges of the caulk in between the floor and the caulk line & the tub and the caulk line. Then with needle nose pliers, pick out the caulk. Continue until all old caulk has been removed.

Step 2: Clean tile floors well. Krud Kutter is the best for this because it’s a super duper powerful cleaner that will remove dirt and grime.

Simply spray on and wipe clean with paper towels or a rag.

Step 3: Test floors for adhesion.

As recommended by Rust-Oleum on the can of floor paint, you should test your flooring first to make sure it doesn’t need to be sanded. 

Step 4: Apply base coat of bathroom tile paint. Start by going around the room and around any edges. Alternatively, you could tape off your baseboards with painter’s tape.

Work your way out of the room so you don’t have to step on the wet paint.

Step 5: Colored base coat.

After waiting 6 hours to dry, I painted with the colored base coat.

Step 6: Stencil. ow it’s time to move on to stenciling! I honestly think the smaller the room, the harder, because you end up having to do a lot of cutting with the tile floor stencils to make it work around the edges of the room, sinks and toilet.

Step 7: Touch up stenciled floors.

Wait 6 hours and you can go back in and touch up with a small paint brush.

Step 8: Add top coat of floor coating.

Wait 6 hours and then you’re ready to seal the bathroom floor paint with the top coat.

I’m pretty obsessed with how it turned out! I LOVE the stencil pattern and think it added so much character to the room!

If you love these floor tile painting using stencil and want to learn more like it, be sure to check out all of our woodworking tutorials in the archives here!

30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
Chelsea @ Making Manzanita

• Amy Patterson Buchert

How long has it been since you stenciled? I absolutely LOVE your design but am concerned with wear and tear.

• Beth

I also stenciled my bathroom floor. I bought 3 gallons of latex paint in light gray, a darker gray and white. After finishing my ceiling, walls. woodwork, door and vanity I used the same latex paint on the floor. I did lightly sand my tiles, used a bonding paint as a first coat, then a gray coat, then the final white coat with the stencil. I did apply about 5 coats of water based urethane, the final coat was the only one especially for floors. I did this in Feb, 2020 and my floor has held up great. The bathroom in on the main level so it's used a lot. We also have a dog that goes in & out of there, especially during storms. If my floor has held up with latex paint, I'm sure paint made for floors will hold up better. By the way, the floor is beautiful and Chelsea will be the only one who sees her mistakes. No one else will notice, even the old grout lines.

• Victoria

Looks fantastic! I’m curious if you painted right over the grout on the tile?

• Can you paint hard wood floors

• Jeanie

Someone could make a living off of doing this. I'd hire someone.

• Diane Kean
    Just now

Absolutely. I have an old tile floor tile from 1924 in my 5’ x 5’ bathroom. I wanted to hire a tiler to replace it all. Now, after seeing this project, I’m going to try this myself!