Easy DIY Faux Earthenware Vessel

$15

Do you like shopping online? What’s your favorite online store? I love looking at Pottery Barn because I get so many good ideas. I love their items but rarely order because I’m always looking for a deal. LOL

Here is my inspiration piece. I loved the siz

I was recently browsing and saw a Earthenware Vessel that caught my eye. Instead of ordering one, I began to search for a vessel of similar proportions that could be transformed. Here are the steps to make an Easy DIY Faux Earthenware Vessel from a thrift store find.

First, I spied this cute little ceramic vessel for only $4.00 at a thrift store. It may take some time to find the perfect vessel, but keep your eyes open. Once you find your vessel, be sure to clean it with soap and water. In addition, wipe with rubbing alcohol to remove any greasy film.

Secondly, you will need a small amount of Chalk Paint and Light Weight Spackling to cover and add texture to your vessel. I recommend using chalk paint because it will adhere to almost any surface and you can use any color you choose. Next, mix the paint and Spackle together and stir until you have a smooth mayonnaise consistency. You only need enough to cover the vase once.

Now using a paint brush, apply the mixture over the entire surface of the vessel. Work in a circular direction around the vase and allow your brush strokes to remain visible. Also, you will want to add some of the texture mixture to the inside of the rim. Then, allow the mixture to dry for several hours.

Once the vessel is completely dry, color can be added to any area you desire. Because this vessel had a raised leaf design, I highlighted them, using a dry brush with burnt sienna craft paint.

In addition, I used a dark wax to add color around the bottom and top of the vessel. Begin by applying a small amount on a rag or paper towel and rub off any excess as you go.

Continue to work with the color until you like the finish. This may include adding more of the texture mixture or other colors of craft paint.

This step is optional, but if you plan to use your vessel outside, you may want to apply a sealer. Just mist the entire surface with a Matte Clear Spray Sealer.

Finally, here is a close up view of the texture that was added to the ceramic vessel. If you like simple DIY projects, here's another one you might enjoy.

I hope you love the results as much as I do. I saved over $100.00 and still have a similar vessel for my Fall Decorating. If you'd like some free fall decorating tips, click here.

These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
Rachel The Ponds Farmhouse

• MBRATTY

The leaf design texture that you put on the vase, did you use a stencil? It looks so nice.

• No, the vase had the raised design on it when I purchased. However, that could be accomplished is a stencil! Thanks for stopping by.

Rachel.