Asked on Sep 1, 2020

Too much water or not enough????

Simple Nature DecorCourtney |The Kitchen GartenMorgan McBride
+16

I give a small amount of water when leaves get droopy and then rhis happens. Any suggestions?

• K. Rupp

Thinking not enough. Don't wait till they get droopy. It's probably too dehydrated by that point. once a week or more(week and a half), wait until soil is dry, then put entire plant in the sink or tub for about 15 minutes and run water softly onto it to completely saturate. Then fill up a water bottle....take the cap off and quickly turn upside down pressing it into the soil. Throughout the next week or so, it will drink itself. You won't believe how nice your plant will come back. You can also use those beautiful glass globes. They work really well too. For a big plant like that though, I would use 2 globes on either side. The only thing I don't like about the globes are that the dirt gets stuck in the long tube. I usually have to clean the dirt out with a long skewer when I have to add water. The water bottle is easier but not as pretty. Pretty plant and it will come back. You can also use a little bit of miracle grow but if you use the watering method, you probably won't need to.

• Oliva

Your plant may also be root bound. Try transplanting to a slightly larger pot with new potting soil.

• Pat

Cut all the dead stuff off and re-pot in a bigger pot. Water generously and you will soon have a nice looking tall plant. Looks like a Diffiebachia to me....I grew one in my living room in a huge pot and it grew to be 6 foot tall. Google it and you will see how to take care of it. Love the plant.

• Johnavallance82

Hi Sally,

Think the problem is it needs to be re-potted to a bigger pot. Good luck!

• Kathy Gunter Law

This looks like too much water and not enough sun. Try sitting it outside to revitalize.

• Lynn

Too much water sitting in pan. This happened to me.

• Dee

I did the same thing overwatered, then fertilized and my plant is just about dead. I guess it is time for me to replace after 3 years

• Sally

Thank you everyone! I have repotted two plants to larger containers. I hope they survive, they are sentimental to me.

• LLG

Hi Sally!

i have a plant menagerie at my home, as well as my office. I ALWAYS water with distilled water. The reason for this is to avoid salt/mineral build up. If the leaves are turning brown every time you water it, and you’re only watering a little at a time, you’re probably creating salt/mineral build up. As previously suggested, since you’ve already repotted the plants, be sure to take your plants to the sink or put them in a bucket and water until it runs all the way through, let them sit a while until the water stops running then put them back. I use distilled water for this and use a bucket. I put a gallon of water in it and then submerge the pot in it until the bubbles stop, then lift it out and put in the other side of the sink until it stops running. Only use fertilizer during the growing season, it will be wasted if used in winter. Hope this helps

Hi Sally: You're killing your plant :( Giving it water when it droops isn't a good idea. that's just teasing it. Water it when the top inch or so of soil is dry, and judging from the size of this plant, maybe a 1/2 cup of water every week would be good. When the water runs out the bottom, let it sit for about a 1/2 hour and them remove that water and any that runs out after that. Cut off that dead part as close to the bottom as you can without cutting into the good part of the plant, give it some fertilizer for that particular plant and don't keep it in the sun. It looks like a plant that likes indirect light. Also, a larger pot, maybe 3 times the size of this one, and deeper, with a hole in the bottom would be a good idea. Before putting in new soil, put a coffee filter in the bottom to cover the hole. That way, excess water will leak out but the soil won't. And, if it's root bound, you know, where the roots are all wrapped around each other, straighten them out gently and repot.. Good luck, and it should recover.

• Deb K

Hello Sally, you definitely need to repot this it is brty rootbound, it is a Dieffenbachia, I have attached a care guide for you, hope this helps.

https://greeneryunlimited.co/pages/dieffenbachia-care

• Chloe Crabtree

Too much water. Make sure you let it dry completely between waterings.

• Kmdreamer

To much water and needs some sun

• Janice

I'd say too much water.

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

I'd try watering a little less and trim off the dead leaves.

• Morgan McBride

crispy leaves usually means too much sun

• The brown stem also tells me perhaps too much water, and do remove any dead leaves as they appear. I agree with the suggestions to let it dry out between waterings. Good luck!

• Simple Nature Decor

To much water