Chalk Painting Bathroom Cabinets for Master Bathroom Makeover

$230

We have been in our house for over 8 years and I have wanted to paint this vanity since the day we moved in! So today I am sharing how we updated our master bathroom on a budget with chalk paint and lighting.

We started with dark cabinetry mixed with dark granite countertops that I have never been too fond of. In order to lighten up these cupboards we decided to chalk paint them! Maybe you remember our  Entertainment Center that we chalk painted? Or even our old  master bathroom where we painted everything including the faucets? I loved how these projects all turned out and knew that this vanity would look amazing with a little elbow grease on our part.

Step 1- Tape and paint with chalk paint

We simply taped off the edge of the vanity where it meets with the wall and down on the tile floor. Then we opened up the can of Annie Sloan pure white and started painting. Chalk paint is seriously the way to go because there is literally no prep work! I love to get instant results with just a little bit of work (yes I am a little bit impatient but I also want it to look good and this did it for me). 

2. First coat of paint

This was after the second coat. I wanted it to cover better so we did a third coat. It went pretty fast with two of us painting. At first I wasn’t too sure if I was going to like it. My hubby just kept saying it is going to look amazing and he was right. I just needed to be a little bit more patient during updating our Master Bathroom on a budget.

3. Distressing Master Bath Vanity

After everything was painted and dry, we decided to try out some distressing to give it more of an old cottage lake house look and feel. We just used a little bit of sand paper we had laying around in the garage. It didn’t need a lot of distressing to get the look we wanted. Then we waxed the whole piece with Annie Sloan wax and buffed it a little bit. We really love how it turned out! Another great thing about chalk paint is that even after you wax and or distress it, if you don’t like it you can simply chalk paint right over it and try a different look.

4. Adding knobs

Adding black knobs really completed the look of our vanity. For the drawers we just measured to get the middle of each drawer and counter sunk them in from the back. I really like the contrast of the distressed white cabinets against the black knobs.

5. Adding in new light fixture

Changing out the builders basic lighting to this fun wooden beaded ceiling light really helps with our Lake cottage theme going on. We found this one at Lowes for under $100 I love that the wooden beads have a little distressing going on as well.

6. Adding in bubble glass covers

These bubble glass light covers are seriously the bomb! We found these at Lowes for only $4.98 each! Changing out the builder grade frosted light covers to these made such a HUGE difference, not only in how they look but also the amount of light it allows.

7. Completed Master bath update on a budget!

Here is the completed master bath and we could not be happier with how it turned out. Everything we did made such a huge difference! WE hardly spend any money too! What do you think? AMAZING right!

Enjoying the completed master bathroom makeover

Seriously I could not stop going in the bathroom and just admiring the changes. Just by painting, distressing, adding knobs and a new light fixture made a world of difference. The valance above the tub is one I made using foam board! You will have to stop by and see how I make these. Super Easy and cheap!

10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
Karins Kottage

• Mary Russell

I know it's just me and my being from' old school',but I really can't see one bit of improvement in sanding off part of a good paint job.Is it looking better to look old?If so,then just leave it old to start with.Just my two cents worth,it's your bath so fix it however it suits you.After all,you are the one that has to be happy with the job.

• Liz

Mary, I actually preferred the beautiful original wood of the cabinets. But, I know what she's talking about with lots of paint patina built up. I've seen some spectacular ones on pinterest and YouTube where multiple layers of paint have been built up and distressed to look old.

• Steve And-Cynthia Kovac

Lovely !! Can you tell me how You made the valance please

• Did you remove the doors before painting the cabinets? It turned out great!

• Karins Kottage

Hi Frances! No we did not.... I just taped around the hinges. It worked out great. If there was a little chalk paint on the metal hinges it was easy to wipe off. I am into fast projects and I have found wen I take the doors off they never seem to go back on perfectly 🤪

Thank you for your question

Karin

• Diana

This is beautiful! I was looking for ideas for our master bath. Once my back heals this sounds like the thing to do!

Did you paint the cabinet & closet doors as well?

• Karins Kottage

Hi Diana,

The closet door was already painted white. We just painted the vanity cabinets. I can totally relate to having a bad back! I hope it heals quickly for you. Back issues are the worst! Hang in there.

Karin