Make an Abstract Painting: Easy DIY Art!

$60

Even if you don’t have much experience in painting, I am confident that you can make art. You can easily Make an Abstract Painting, which is a great place to start…there is no right or wrong…it’s just what YOU like.

What you Need to Make an Abstract Painting:

• Large Canvas. I think you need a largish canvas for this painting… I used a 30 by 40 inch. 
  • Acrylic paint in your desired colors. I used Winsor & Newton Galeria Acrylic in Ultramarine, Liquitex Acyrlic in Ivory Black and Liquitex Acrylic in White
  • Gold Leaf Sheets
  • Leaf Adhesive Size
  • Pallet Knife, Putty Knife, Large 2″ paint brush
  • Something for texture. I found an old roll of drywall repair mesh in the garage. My sweet hubby drives me a little crazy in that he really hates to throw anything away…’you just never know when we’ll need it’. This is one of those cases where I was glad for his ‘hoarding’ tendency.

How to Make an Abstract Painting:

• I first placed a couple pieces of the drywall mesh on the canvas. I chose to put mine only where I was going to paint, but I guess there’s no reason why you couldn’t put it where the gold would be. The only thing to be aware of is that I planned to pull the mesh off so I didn’t adhere it to the canvas. If you were planning to put the gold leaf over the mesh, you would definitely want to adhere the mesh.
  • The ultramarine right out of the tube was a little too bright blue, so I mixed it with about an equal amount of black to get the dark blue.

I painted that dark blue on most of the canvas above where I would put the gold. I used a putty knife and a palette knife, making it thick in some areas and thinner in other area.

Once the blue was almost dry, I removed the mesh. It pulled right off. Here’s a closeup of the painted mesh.

Once that blue was dry I went in with a blue closer to what comes out of the Ultramarine tube. But this was still way to blue for me. While that was drying, I painted on the gold leaf size as it needs to dry for about a half hour.

After a half hour, I laid on the gold leaf and went back over the brighter blue with my dark black blue. I also laid down a little white

• After a half hour, I laid on the gold leaf and went back over the brighter blue with my dark black blue. I also laid down a little white. When all the paint was dry, I went back and added a wee bit more gold leaf up in the blue. 

This painting ended up with a moody, brooding feel to it…which is fine. Almost reminds me of a thunderstorm, with the gold being lightning flashes.

With the acrylics, this painting could be made from start to finish in a couple of hours. If you need to fill up a large wall space, an abstract painting is an easy remedy. There’s no right or wrong, just so it’s pleasing to your eye. I always find it helpful to stand far back from the painting, checking on it several times in different lighting to make sure I like what I see.

Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Lynn @ Nourish and Nestle

• Luy48977582

Are there a subject of this painting? Otherwise, I don't know what it is my painting.

• Flipturn

No, there is no particular pre-determined subject to this style of art.

Abstract painting is supposed to be all about just color, and is not meant to be an accurate depiction of any reality.

It is for the viewer of the painting to decide if they see any meaningful shapes within the colors on the canvas.

• Denise Armstrong

Very pretty and looks really easy too. You've channeled your inner Bob Ross with the pallet knife. ❤