Easy DIY Removable Tile Backsplash (with Real Tile!!)

$45

I came up with this idea for a removable tile backsplash for our bathroom because I wasn't sure how long it would be until we would replace our bathroom vanity. Backsplash and Vanity are still going strong after several years, now!

Before: Here is our plain bathroom sink. If you hang around me very long, you will find out that I don't like leaving things plain for very long. I searched and searched and finally found some gorgeous accent tile for our shower renovation. And there was enough left over for a backsplash!

(I'd love for you to see how I designed my shower!)

The tile came in 12 inch by 12 inch squares, with a clear sheet of sticky plastic across the top holding the tiny squares all together.

I wasn't sure how long it would be before we replaced our vanity (even though it had replaced our other vanity, it was a salvaged piece from the side of the road and wasn't in perfect condition).

So I didn't want a permanent backsplash. That's when I came up with my great idea!!

I went to the hardware store and ordered a piece of plexiglass the size of the backsplash area.

This is the back of the plexiglass, with the tile on the other side. I attached the tile to it using just two things: a product called Simple Mat from Home Depot, and pre-mixed grout. The Simple Mat is sticky on both sides-- one side sticks to the wall (or in my case, the plexiglass). The other side is sticky for the tiles to stick onto.

Then I used the pre-mixed grout to grout the tile like you normally would.

My backsplash was all ready to install! It just couldn't get any easier--- I used Command Strips for hanging pictures! Sometimes I remove my removable backsplash to clean around the vanity. It looks perfect! No one knows it is removable unless I tell them!!!

Not only do I have the look of real tile-- it IS Real Tile!! : )

While I enjoyed having my shower tiled with this beautiful accent tile, I think this removable backsplash might be my favorite!

[Looking for more ways to make your bathroom prettier? I have lots of great ideas right here!]

18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
Liberty Brammer

• Sherill Eyestone
    Sherill Eyestone

I’m so impressed! Your idea is amazing!

Thank You for sharing this

Would you please let us know what the name of the glass tile you used is? And where to find it?

Thank you so much! Have a Super Day!

• Liberty Brammer
      Liberty Brammer

I'm not sure of the name of the tile... I found it at a brick and mortar store near me. I'm sure if you showed them a picture they could find it. It was from https://www.tileology.com/. They had other colors with the same iridescent look-- one was a blue, while this was a green...

I'm glad you like it!

• Cathy
    Cathy

What a great idea!!! I love this ❤️ and will be giving it a try in my laundry 🧺 room. Thanks for sharing this clever idea! 🙂