Budget Laundry Room Makeover

$300
1 Week

My laundry room is cute but I had some storage and functionality needs that I thought could be improved so I set out to make over my laundry room on a budget!

Before

After!

Demo!

First I had to rip out the existing built-ins in my laundry room because I wanted cabinetry instead of open storage

Repair wall

I had some drywall repair to do before I could install new cabinets

Paint

The easiest way to transform a room is paint! I gave myself a blank slate by painting the laundry room white

Give yourself a hand

Since I was installing these cabinets by myself I added a 2 x 4 to act as a ledge or second hand to set the cabinets on while I screwed it into my studs

Buy Cabinets

Instead of building cabinets I thought these unfinished ones from Lowe’s were super affordable and convenient

Install cabinet

I screwed the back of the cabinets directly into my wall studs

Caulk

For a more professional and finished look caulk where the cabinets meet the wall

Paint cabinets

Since these cabinets are unfinished you will likely want to paint or stain

Faux Tile

I used these peel and stick subway tiles from TicTac tiles to create a really cool, easy, and affordable accent wall

Add shelving

Are used a 2 x 4 and 1 x 4 on L brackets to create this shelf to hide my utility outlets

Finally I built this little tower shelf out of scrap wood to go between my washer and dryer. I wanted to use every bit of space!

Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!

• Cassie
    Cassie

You did a fantastic job. What are the measurements of your laundry room.

• Teresa W.
    Teresa W.

Did you use gorilla glue to adhere the 1x4 to the shelf? I have the same problem with my shelf and want to hide wires, outlets, etc... Thank You

• JENNY
      JENNY

Gorilla glue was originally made for chair repairs, because it expands, making it less useful for projects that need to hold. For some thing like this project use Liquid Nails, thin brads, or drywall screws, in lieu of a nail gun.

• Jason
    Jason

Looks great, nice update, just curious why you put storage where you already had it and took out a storage shelf above the clothes bar?

• Flipturn
      Flipturn

In a laundry room, it is much easier to keep items cleaner (lint free!) when they are are inside a cabinet with doors that close, rather than on open shelves. Plus, the look is cleaner, and less clutttered.