DIY Shaker Peg Rail Inspire Hooks

$40

Happy to be sharing my DIY shaker peg rail inspired entryway hooks for you today! They were incredibly easy to install into my board and batten entryway, and I love that they are simple, yet contrast with the white molding.
Let's get started!
Step 1
Measure your space first, and decide how many peg hooks you want. I used 4, and they are spaced about 12" apart. You want to make sure you will have plenty of space to actually hang things, so don't squish them together too much! Mark your holes for each peg using a measuring tape, level, and pencil. Make sure your holes are evenly spaced, centered, and level. Then, cut your dowel into 3" pieces with your miter saw. Sand any rough edges until they are smooth.
Step 2
Stain your cut dowels with wood stain of your choice. Minwax English Chestnut is my go to stain color - it is truly beautiful and the perfect medium brown! Don't worry about staining the entire dowel, about half of it will be inside your wall/board! Allow to dry for about an hour. Wipe off any excess stain with a paper towel. Stand your dowels up and coat with matte polycrylic (you can either paint this on or use a spray version like Krylon).
Step 3
Use your spade drill bit/power drill, and carefully drill holes where you marked. For a board and batten installation like I did, drill ALL the way through to your drywall! If using some kind of board as a base like a 2"x4", drill at least 1" to 1.5" into the board. Sand any rough edges. NOTE: You want your holes to be SLIGHTLY smaller than your dowel. If you find that the dowel slips easily into the hole once drilled, take a small paint brush and add a few gloppy coats of paint inside each hole to make them slightly smaller!
Step 4
Dip the ends of each dowel into wood glue. You want there to be a good amount of glue on there!
Step 5
Align with the hole you drilled. Your dowel should be AT LEAST 1" inside the hole, preferably a bit more. You are ideally needing to use your hammer to get the dowels into the holes. The friction and the wood glue together will keep the dowels securely in place (though I wouldn't recommend hanging something extremely heavy on these, but regular jackets, filled purses, wreaths, even a small mirror or piece of art are totally fine)!
Step 6
Hammer into place. Then wipe off any excess wood glue that oozes out with a paper towel. Before you use or decorate, allow the glue to fully dry before hanging anything on your new hooks.
If you try this easy shaker peg rail project, let me know below in the comments! You could even create one for a bathroom, mud room, or kids playroom, too! The possibilities are endless with this one! Remember to come stop by the blog and say hello, too! Would love to have you as a subscriber so I can continue to inspire (all projects are posted there FIRST!)

Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
Ana Ochoa - Fiddle Leaf Interiors