Asked 3 days ago

Get rid of these flies?

Cheryl APamelaKen Erickson
+16

Every year about 2nd week of November we are inundated with these what I think is flies. They seem to like to hang out around where the downpipes go into the ground but only on the east side of the house. They also like the clothes line. If we leave the doors open they don't come in. It's just that to go outside you have to go through a wall of them. They seem to leave as quick as they come in early December. So 2 questions. 1 what are they and 2 how to deter or get rid of them. I have included a pic of them. Cheers

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello this link might be helpful to ID, could it be a soldier fly?

Identification might be a key to controls management.

https://www.insectidentification.org/insect-search-results.asp?display=form&Color1=Black&Color2=Black&Legs=Insecta&Territory=Alabama&Category=Fly+or+Mosquito&Action=Begin+Search

Additionally for the best local professional advice

I would highly suggest contacting your cooperative extension. These offices are manned by volunteer master gardeners on site there waiting to answer the communities questions that know your local situation quite well.

Master gardeners are required to volunteer back designated hours ( plus continuing education) each year to maintain MG certification -this community outreach and education is their goal.

Our office has even sent insect samples to the local university for ID.

• Michelle Leslie
    Michelle Leslie

Hi Will, that looks like a black soldier fly. You can read all about them here - http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/livestock/black_soldier_fly.htm

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

I agree, this looks like a black soldier fly, but you need to confirm what it is. To do that,you can go a couple of ways: your cooperative extension or through a pest management company. They will give you the information you need for control of these insects.

Interestingly enough, people buy the larvae and raise them, and sell the larvae, you can purchase them on Amazon.They are beneficial in composting and as a source of livestock feed.

Here's a link that talks about them:

https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/galveston/beneficials/beneficial-51_black_soldier_fly.htm

It seems that these flies are a nuisance, you could consider making their habitat different so they won't go there to breed. Another idea which is specific to where they hang our at your entrance would be to put up a fan that blows away from your door, that might decrease the numbers of them at that location.Best to you.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

We have cattle and had issues with soldier flies. We purchase hanging fly traps and put some rotting chicken soaked with sugar infused Coca Cola. We also sprayed with some type of fly spray from Tractor & Supply.

• Dee
    Dee

Sanitation is the first level of defense. Even though various traps and sprays are used to kill flies, it is necessary to remove the source to eliminate them.

Whenever possible, food and materials on which the flies can lay their eggs must be removed, destroyed, as a breeding medium, or isolated from the egg-laying adult. Killing adult flies will reduce infestation, but the elimination of breeding areas is necessary for proper management.

A pyrethrum space spray such as Stryker 54 or CB 80 Pyrethrin aerosols can be used as a quick kill, reducing populations of flying insects.

Spraying dumpster surfaces will be of some help, but sanitation is ultimately required. The flies rest on the sprayed surface of the dumpster and pick up enough insecticide to kill them. When spraying the surfaces, it should be wet enough to the point of runoff, but not enough to form puddles. To clean dumpsters after a garbage pick-up, use Invade Bio Foam or Invade Hot Spot as a sanitation product will help sanitation and breeding sources.

Spray any areas where the Soldier flies would land upon and rest. Also spray possible entry points, such as around windows and doors.

• Jeremy Hoffpauir
    Jeremy Hoffpauir

This product works well to get rid of soldier flies: https://amzn.to/35TF1s5

Betsy

Hi Will: For areas you, or your pets or wild life don't touch or walk on, you can use a product that I use for all sorts of bugs, crawling and flying. I use Ortho's Home Defense. It works at least 6 months, if it doesn't get rained on. Even dry, when the bug walks on it, they pick up some of the poison on their feet to kill them. It doesn't smell bad either:) Once you get rid of the adults, the larva should also die. You need to break the cycle. Also, you can try spraying vinegar on things to make them feel unwelcome.

• Chloe Crabtree
    Chloe Crabtree

I would use hanging fly paper strips.

• Deb K
    Deb K

Hi Will, looks like a soldier fly, here's a bit of info for you, They are one of the most beneficial flies in existence and are considered non-pests. The adult black soldier fly does not have mouthparts and does not feed upon waste. They do not bite, and as only the larva feed, are not associated with transmitting any diseases.

https://citybugs.tamu.edu/factsheets/household/flies-house/ent-2005/

• Ken Erickson
    Ken Erickson

It looks more like a bee than a fly to me. We also use the Ortho Home Defense.

• Pamela
    Pamela
    21 hours ago

Curious to know !!! I have the same issue , except they seem to come from underneath my azalea busy !

• Cheryl A
    Cheryl A
    Just now

we used to have monthly pest control services but we still had a lot of bugs so we started using Ortho Home Defense and it does the job so much better- it isn't expensive and is easy to apply inside and out - always spray outside your home as well where the bugs find areas to come in, I just spray the entire parimeter of my house outside then do the inside under cabinets and any place I see an opening - do your porch and decks as well