Asked 7 days ago

How can straighten this wooden frame??

AnnieKikiDeb K
+14

I bought this wooden Christmas tree last year and it has since warped. It goes on the wall but since its bent it doesn't stay flush against it. I am going to paint the slats Xmas colors but how can I straighten the bent wood, if I can?

Betsy

Hi Elizabeth: One thing you might try is to lay it down the other way, face down,spray it lightly with water and put something heavy on the part that's curved up. That should straighten it out in a few days.

• Recreated Designs
    Recreated Designs

Hi Elizabeth, there are two things you can try... first was said above; try turning it over and placing something heavy on top until it bends flat. The other is to use some water to wet the wood before doing the above (if you can wet it without damaging it). Adding some moisture to the wood will help it bend a little easier back into shape but then make sure you leave something heavy on it until is fully dry or it will warp again.

William

As wood dries it tends to follow it's growth pattern. The methods above of turning it over and placing something heavy will work. But I may I add something. You would need to go slightly beyond the bend for it to straighten out. When you turn it over place something about 1" thick at each end. Spray some water on it to dampen it. Do not get it wet. Then place something heavy in the center so it slightly bends downward. Then let it sit until it's dry. When you remove the weight it will spring slightly back but straighter. Just turning it over and placing a weight on it will not provide enough stress to stretch the wood fibers.

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello. I was recently watching a blogger work with wood panels and to flatten them out from the warping -he sprayed water them then put some weights on to flatten—perhaps this is something you can consider

• Cindy
    Cindy

Depending on what type of wood it is, you could soak it in the bath tub for 30 mins or so and then lay it flat with weight on it. It should be very pliable and easy to manipulate. I know that you can soak willow, teak, and other soft woods. Hard wood, like oak, will not work. Good luck with this. That tree is so cute. I hope you are well.

• Peggy Burnette
    Peggy Burnette

Hi Elizabeth, sorry your Christmas tree warped. I hope this helps you. Can you straighten warped wood?

To straighten warped wood, I soak in water. Or if you can't submerse them put a wet cloth on the inside of the warp curve, and soak until straight. ... And, once it is finalized then seal the grain against future water and the wood glue will stay in there and never warp again, stronger than the piece would be originally.

Straighten Warped Wood

www.craftsmanslegacy.com › workshop_notes › Straig...

• Chloe Crabtree
    Chloe Crabtree

You can soak or moisten the wood and then weigh it down on a flat surface. When it dries, it should be flat.

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello Elizabeth,

Soak it for a white and then put a weight on it to straighten it! If you don't want to do that, you could try Steam. Best of luck.

• Ken Erickson
    Ken Erickson

Wood will warp due to stresses in the wood when combined with humidity. I would cut it at the point that it is bending. Then I would square up the bent edge and glue it back together using a couple of dowels for alignment. The repair should disappear since you are painting anyway. You didn't say what kind of wood is bending, but it looks like press board or MDF and those won't respond well to adding water to it.

• Dee
    Dee

I would sprinkle it with some water and put it in the oven on low to make it bendable. But as Ken said if it is MDF do NOT add water. Water will ruin your lovely Christmas tree.

• Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

Hi! I would lay it on a flat surface, and weigh it down. Books, magazines, anything heavy. Good luck!

• K. Rupp
    K. Rupp

Hang on a small bathroom wall and run the hot shower. I am not sure how long you should do that but it might allow it to "give" a little to bend it back into shape. Worth a try.

• Kiki
    Kiki

PUT YOUR FOOT ON IT AND LET ALL YOUR WEIGHT GO TO THAT FOOT.

• Annie
    Annie
    8 minutes ago

I would make a frame that would support bending it in the opposite direction. Then bend it to straighten plus a bit more. Secure it and then get a pot of boiling water, lots of steam and place under it for 15 min. Then let it sit there for a hour or two. Steam usually helps to bend wood.. Good luck