Asked 6 days ago

HELP,tile counter tops,darkwood ceiling,light flooring,light cabinet ?

AnnieSharonMs.Delaware June
+21

ok, so I have an issue, my kitchen has yellow tile countertops, light wood cabinets, light wood cabinets. My husband does not want me to touch the wood, and wall paper, I want to do something to incorporate everything and make it more happy

• Chloe Crabtree
    Chloe Crabtree

I think you need to negotiate more with your husband. This would look so refreshed with white paint on the wood and a solid color of paint on the upper parts of the wall.

• Cheryl A
    Cheryl A

you can paint your tile countertops or replace them - here is info on painting them

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/paint-ceramic-tile-countertop-33880.html#:~:text=Prime%20and%20Paint,if%20necessary%2C%20for%20good%20coverage.

paint the cabinets and you could white wash the wood panels

• Ken Erickson
    Ken Erickson

As a woodworker and furniture builder, I have an aversion to painting nice wood. The wall panels could be updated with paint to brighten up the kitchen, but don't touch the trim. Maybe paint the ceiling, but leave the beams untouched.

• Ken Erickson
      Ken Erickson

Best of luck. My previous house was a late-70's and all the woodwork and trim was dark and cheap flat doors. I replaced all doors and painted them and the trim white to bring everything into the 90's.

• Maybe you can reach a compromise on the wood since you have 2 different colors of wood. I'd paint the wood on the lower portion of the walls and paint the shelf to add some contrast.

Betsy

Hi Tina: Well, I agree with your hubby on painting wood. I'm just don't like painted wood, I love natural wood. But, that wall paper has to go! :) It's way too busy. You can get a wall paper that looks sort of like leather, only in a beige colour. That's what I have. When you put knickknacks on a busy background, it just looks cluttered. Tell him you don't dictate what the garage or his work area (if he has one) looks like, and the kitchen is your work area and, aside from painting the wood, it's up to you as to how it's painted and/or arranged. :) I think less clutter would make it happier. As for painting your counter tops, I'm not at all sure about that. Once the paint scratches and starts peeling, I think you will be very unhappy. Perhaps you can get it covered with a new overlay. Here are a few sites that talk about that:

https://www.thespruce.com/countertop-overlays-make-installation-diy-friendly-1822107

https://www.bhg.com/kitchen/countertop/resurfacing-kitchen-countertop-ideas/

Good luck

• Dee
    Dee

If you could at least talk your husband into changing the wall paper or even painting over it that would help.

• Dan Dingle
    Dan Dingle

Sorry, but you don't need to worry about "incorporating" until you get rid of all this stuff. Why is there a lamp and uncomfortable-looking chair within the door opening range of the fridge? That shelf full of junk serves no purpose. Those steins belong in a bar. (If they have value, put them where someone can really see them. ) I can't tell from the picture, but I'll bet that framed image is some sort of "cute" or "sentimental" saying, lol. Simplify, simplify... (And no, don't paint the wood!)

• Maybe he’d agree to a new wallpaper over the old one. A fresh wallpaper would do a lot for the space without too much work.

• Em
      Em

How is that going to happen when he doesn't want the wall paper changed?

• Vimarhonor
    Vimarhonor

Hello. That’s a tough one sometimes....... it’s baby steps.

I would work on a conversation trying to sway reconsideration to change the wallpaper.

Good luck

• Dricka
    Dricka

Hi I think if you could change out the chandelier, and update things you can like your shelving it would do a lot for the space. If you don’t really need it remove it but if you want to keep just update it. Look up eclectic meets farmhouse kitchen on Pinterest. You could also paint the walls were your stairs are at white. That really brighten it up! Hope this helps!

• Redcatcec
    Redcatcec

I wonder if there is some attachment to this wood and wallpaper scheme that he is clinging to, like a relative's house or the way an ancestor would have it or a childhood fond memory.

Your husband sees beauty in the wood, I agree with him. The wood is natural and it would be a shame to paint it. If you 2 can agree about the wood grain then all you'd be doing is enhancing it by making it 1 color of stain and keeping the grain of it in a better light. What more could you ask? First overcome 1 obstacle by doing a minor part of the scheme and seeing how nice it looks and keeping him involved. Then hopefully progress from there. Best to you.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

I would talk to him about the wallpaper. I think if you had a fresh coat of a light color like Sherwin-Williams sea salt you would be okay with the rest.

• Cynthia H
    Cynthia H

Hi! If he won't relent about the wallpaper, I would simplify. Keep any added items neutral. Declutter. Give him a shelf for his steins for Christmas near where he likes to hang out. I find my husband is very resistant to changes until he sees what I mean. Sometimes a picture of what I want works. Sometimes I have to make incremental changes until it becomes partly his idea. Men! Good luck!

• If the entire walls were painted white or a lighter color, this room could look amazing. Painting wood doesn't take anything away from it, it just turns it into something you truly enjoy. I can see this kitchen done in a cottage or farmhouse style and think you can do some truly amazing things with this space.

• Ms.Delaware June
    Ms.Delaware June

How do I prep and paint ceramic tile. This is for edges of my counter

• Sharon
    Sharon
    Yesterday

I like the old wood ceiling, beams and bead board down to the display shelf that looks original to the house. The rest below can go and be updated. The wall paper is too busy, I would remove and paint the wall with a satin or semi-gloss paint. If that is plywood below the wallpaper, I would apply some nice painted or dark stained bead board over it, or at the very least darken the stain to go with the original wood above, and I would also also fix the moulding around the door to also match the original wood.

Then have hubby let you pick your counters of choice, if your a baker get some nice marble or you could go with a corian in white to brighten up. Add some under cabinet lighting to brighten it up.

Declutter.

• Annie
    Annie
    21 minutes ago

Looks like you are getting lots of ideas, Here is another great product that may help you out. Good luckhttps://www.buildingblocksco.com/what-we-do/brick-staining