Turning and Old Log Into an Awesome Rustic Soundbar.

$80

We needed some speakers for my son's computer. I wasn't happy with most of the affordable ones I found at the big box stores, and thought I could do better myself. This is what I came up with.

Log Soundbar
Log for our Soundbar

Selecting and preparing the right log

This is probably the most important step. You'll need a log that is big enough to fit speakers inside. I used 4" car speakers. They were the smallest I could find. This log is also 40" long which is perfect to fit on the desk, or on a fireplace mantle if it was being used for a TV.

Once I found the perfect log, I stripped all the bark off of it. You'll see as we move on, that I left some discolouring on the log for more of a rustic "barky" feel.

Trimming the ends of the log

Cutting to size

Once the bark was removed, I cut the ends to size on my table saw, then started the process of sanding and shaping the log to accommodate a small amplifier and 2 speakers.

Log ready for Speakers and Amplifier

Shape the log for Speakers and Amplifier

It took quite a lot of cutting, drilling, chipping and sanding to get to this point. I cut a flat spot at the top centre of the log to mount the amplifier. I used a step bit similar to these ones to remove the wood for the speakers. I used a reciprocating saw, and an angle grinder to do most of the rough shaping, then sanded everything smooth.

Sealing and soundproofing

Sealing the log

Once I was happy with the shape and fitment of the amp and speakers, I sealed any cracks in the wood with expanding foam, then sealed the entire log in 4 coats of high gloss clear polyurethane.

Awesome soundbar

Assembly and Testing

Unfortunately I missed taking a pic of the assembly, but its pretty straight forward. I drilled holes through the log where the speakers mount to run speaker wire, then wired up the speakers to the amp before screwing the speakers and amp to the log. The wires run along the back of the log so they are kept completely out of sight.

It looks great and sounds pretty good. Comparable to the average mid-range PC speakers.

*PRO tip: I had an old subwoofer from a crappy home theater system that I also wired into this sound bar. Adding the sub is easy by connecting the one of the speaker wire from the sub each of the left and right channels. 1 wire to the left, and the other to the right. Just make sure one is connected to positive and the other side to negative. It made a huge difference!!

Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
August December Home

• Mocha Mary
    Mocha Mary

You are one clever mom!! Happy Thanksgiving. :)

• Cheryl
    Cheryl

You get Awesome Mom award for this one! Thx for sharing!