DIY Temporary Kitchen Backsplash

$100

I've always admired those colorful glass backsplashes in new kitchens. So when I moved into my new apartment, I knew I wanted to find a way to install one to add some color and personality to my very white and boring kitchen. But because I live in a rental, I had to get creative and came up with this temporary glass backsplash solution.

It was so simple and really quick and easy to do, and required no power tools at all, just some scissors and a stapler with staples.

Step 1: First I bought fabric that had the look of tile and stapled to a 1/4" piece of plywood cut to the size of the wall I wanted to cover. I had the plywood cut at the hardware store to make things easier. You could also use mdf or hardboard and you could use paint to add color instead of covering the board with fabric.

Step 2: I slid the fabric covered plywood so that it wedged between the tile and the fan.

Step 3: I then slid a custom piece of 1/4" tempered glass I ordered online, wedging it between the fabric covered panel and the fan, using gloves to minimize fingerprints on the glass. The glass will protect the fabric from getting dirty and from the fire of the gas stove.

It was the perfect way to add some color in my kitchen and it was the jumping off point for the rest of my kitchen makeover.

I used paintable temporary wallpaper to create a feature wall and I love it!

You can see the entire makeover, including the backsplash, in this video.

3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Engineer Your Space

• Pat
    Pat

What about heat, is it flame retardant?

• Rubyskye
    Rubyskye

did you have any problems wedging the glass into place? half an inch off and you'd lose it?

• Melody
    Melody
    4 hours ago

Beautiful! Very creative idea, thank you for sharing!

• Terre Tulsiak
    Terre Tulsiak
    Just now

It's perfect. And whatever you do, don't try cutting tempered glass yourself! (yes, I did it. Quite dramatic- luckily it was reuse, not new)