Painted Brick Wood Stove Fireplace

$20

When we moved in to our home, the wood stove brick surround was RED. Just like the room..So when we painted the room it’s first color I wanted to tone down the red in the brick by white washing it.

I thought it looked great and it was really easy. You can see how I did it here.

Before

While I am updating our family room downstairs, and the built-ins are now finished, I have been been eyeing the brick again. I had thought about painting it dark, doing another coat of white wash or simply painting it white. I couldn’t decide.

While my parents were visiting during Christmas my Dad said “You should paint the brick dark.” This coming from my Dad..who doesn’t think anything should be painted was the little kick I needed to go ahead and just do it.

So I did. I ended up painting the whole brick surround the color Carbon Copy by Behr, but used Benjamin Moore’s “Ben” paint which is good for walls, wood, masonry and other surfaces. Plus it’s inexpensive. I inquired about the heat tolerance of the paint and it has a heat resistance up to 180 degrees of a dry heat. The brick in the back of the wood stove gets warm but not that hot so I knew this paint would work fine.

To paint I used an old brush that was on it’s last leg since I knew the brick wold be hard on the brush anyway. and I just painted. I didn’t thin the paint or even wait till the stove wasn’t going…which it always is in the winter.

It took me about 2 hours to paint the first coat and then about an hour the next day to get anywhere I missed or it pulled away as it dried. I touched up the edges with a smaller brush and it was done.

I love it! The contrast is just what I wanted in the room and it gives the whole area a fresh and more modern look.

What do you think? Would you paint your brick?

16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
Tara Boettger

• L
    L

Maybe paint isolated areas a gray or streaky red to break up the black slab effect???

• L
      L

Nice but a lot of black and white. Need color accessories in bowls baskets etc to accentuate

• S
    S

Nice job! From an outsiders opinion without being able to see to the left of the fireplace, the entire space, the gap between the fireplace and the built in needs something. More shelves? Art? Something. The balance is off. Personally I thing short shelves painted to match the other built ins would really make it look intentional that the fireplace wasn’t an after though as it obviously was before. Just mo....

• BenFranklin methodologist
      BenFranklin methodologist

I agree! I thought it was a great job, but I personally would want the built-in cabinet/shelving to be balanced on both sides & I wrote a lengthy reply about painting the built-Ins & the shelving all black to make the whole unit & fireplace a completely united wall & all the white in the rest of the room would be white & light & then use accents with the black & white & add a gray or beige.

• Lisa Fauerbach
    Lisa Fauerbach

Love it! Perfect 👌

• K Annie Park
      K Annie Park

i would and did paint inside brick. love your result. great color choice.