Affordable DIY Cane Headboard - 804 Sycamore

$100

In

DIY

Affordable DIY Cane Headboard

The first room I’m tackling in the new house is Quinn’s room, but the second room is Sawyer’s room. I want their rooms to be a refreshing and relaxing space with colors and the style they prefer. Each space should reflect their likes, preferences, and personalities. I have had so much fun planning and discussing Sawyer’s room design with her and soon realized that I needed to create an affordable DIY cane headboard. I have probably asked her a million questions, but I want to make sure I know exactly what she likes and doesn’t like so that when the room is revealed she will be thrilled.

Both girls have agreed to stay out while I’m putting each space together, they want it to be a surprise and I’m all over that. However, some parts won’t entirely be a surprise, but hopefully they will be surprised at how great it all looks together! Sawyer helped me design this affordable DIY cane headboard, and we saved hundreds by making it ourselves. Cane furniture is beautiful and pricey.

She has been enjoying her new headboard in the apartment while we wait for our house to be built!

Affordable DIY Cane Headboard

Sawyer’s bed is a queen size, so the measurements I provide are for a queen mattress on a Hollywood frame. She was also very specific about how tall she wanted the headboard – not too tall, but not low profile either – she wanted the cane to show around her pillows, but not too much. I love that she knows exactly what she wants. Here are the basic steps to create this wall mounted headboard, but you can quickly watch the video to understand the construction.

1. Day 1 – soak your roll of cane webbing in the bathtub (20″ wide x 6′).
  2. Day 2 – drain the bathtub and let the webbing air dry until it’s not dripping and damp to the touch – it should still feel wet and be pliable.
  3. Cut two 1×4 side boards at 16″ long (sand).
  4. Cut the top 1×4 board at 62″ long (sand).
  5. Cut the bottom 1×10 board at 62″ long (sand).
  6. Use the Kreg pocket hole jig to drill two holes at each end of the top and bottom boards (eight holes total).
  7. Then line up all four boards to create your rectangular frame, add 1.5″ wood screws to all eight holes connecting the side boards into the top and bottom boards.
  8. Determine which side will be front facing. Now turn the frame over so that you can attach the webbing to the back side.
  9. Carefully unroll the cane webbing making sure the holes are lined up along the top board. Use clamps to hold the webbing in place.
  10. Use a staple gun and 3/8″ staples to secure the webbing to the frame.
  11. You can cut off any excess webbing, but be sure to leave about an inch of webbing outside the staples.
  12. Optional: Add duct tape to the edge of the webbing to prevent the webbing from scratching the wall.
  13. Find the center of the top of the headboard, measure, mark, and predrill holes for the metal French cleat.
  14. Determine where to install the other half of the French cleat onto the wall, measure, mark, and predrill. The French cleat comes with a level to make this part even easier.
  15. Hang the headboard and enjoy~

I used a Kreg pocket jig to create hidden holes to connect my frame and give the headboard a seamless finish.

After I drill the pocket holes, I use my clamps to secure both boards before screwing them together. This is one of the easiest ways to connect pieces when making furniture.

An electric staple gun made attaching the cane webbing to the back side of the frame easy and fast. Clamps held the webbing in place so I could easily focus on stapling.

After the entire perimeter was stapled, I just cut off the excess cane. I also added a piece of duct tape over the raw edge to protect my wall. This step isn't necessary, but it was my preference.

I used this slim French Cleat to hang the headboard. One rail goes onto the headboard, and the other goes onto the wall. This is such an affordable and easy way to mount this headboard. Just make sure the hanger can hold the weight you need.

Once the headboard is hung, just push the bed against it. It’s low profile and is securely hung.

Cane is so versatile in style, but I do love it for the boho look. You could paint the wood frame, and even the cane webbing if you wanted.

Sawyer loves styling her new headboard with pillows! The texture and warmth that cane provides to a room is one of my favorite things about it.

You may also like: DIY Boho Plant Stand

I am so excited to set up this headboard in her new bedroom design. I think it’s going to look amazing and the best part is that she loves it and it’s exactly what she wanted. Be sure to sign up for my emails and join me as I tackle a ton of DIY projects in the new house to elevate it above builder-grade and give it character and personality~ Thanks for checking out this post, let me know if you have any questions, and I’d love to know what you think so please drop a comment below.

DIY Cane Headboard - Boho Style Bed (easy and budget friendly)

Shop the space:

This site contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links at no extra cost to you. Thank you for your consideration in using my links!

Tags:

Affordable DIY Cane Headboardcane headboarddiy boho headboarddiy furniturediy home decorDIY tutorialsimple headboard

3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
Amy Wadsworth

• Gail
    Gail

Beautiful. Is that an old bedspread? Cant think of the name of the loops but I have one I love.

• Tish
      Tish

It does look like a patterned chenille... really lovely... and goes well with the new headboard!

• Pam
    Pam

where did you find the French cleat?

great job ,

• Barbara
      Barbara

You can purchase them from Lowe's. They work well for large framed items and mirrors.