Lamp Makeover

$20

How to add height and width to old thrift store lamps.

I purchased two thrift store lamps for $5.98 that I thought would look nice with paint and new shades. I painted them white before I realized they were way too small for our bedroom night stands.

Base mold to add height.

I decided to make concrete bases to add height.

I made two molds for my concrete bases out of paper and painters tape.

Once my molds were made, I prepared my concrete mix. I mixed 2 parts concrete to 1 part masons sand with water. The mix was the consistency of smooth peanut butter. I filled my molds then tapped them gently to bring any air bubbles to the surface. (I could of inserted dowels in the wet concrete to leave a hole for the lamp cords- I decided to skip this step since I didn’t care if the cords ran out the back rather than out the bottom.) I peeled off the molds once I was sure the cement was cured.

This is how the bases looked when I took them out of the molds.

I dry fitted the bases first before smoothing and shaping them.

I used my mouse sander to smooth and shape the sides and bottoms.

Once I was satisfied with the shape of the bases, I glued them on with construction adhesive. I waited several days for the adhesive to dry.

I then used drywall tape and mud to fill in the gap between the bases and lamps. I waited about a day for the mud to dry. Once the mud was dry, I smoothed out the dry mud with a sanding block.

Adding width

To add width to the lamps, I applied three layers of mud to the lamps from the bottom to just under the bulb sockets. With each layer, I used a putty knife to smooth the wet mud then let dry. I also sanded each layer smooth with a sanding block. I didn't take photos of the smoothed and sanded layers. (It did take several days for each layer to set up.)

Final finish mud coat.

I applied one more very thin coat of mud then used a hair comb to add texture. I also made sure the mud was nice and smooth under the sockets and around the top portion of the lamps. Once dry, I used a wet sponge to smooth out any bumps that I missed on the top portion of the lamps. I then painted the lamps with white primer.

Once the white primer was dry, I used gold paint to apply a base coat. I waited about a week for the base coat to cure. Once I was sure the base was cured, I mixed up several colors of acrylic craft paint until I was happy with the the top coat color. I applied the top coat then waited a week for it to cure. Once the top coat was cured, I distressed the surfaces using fine grit sand paper. I then dry brushed a different shades of paint to add a bit more interest.

Here are my finished lamps with new shades. I like how my lamps turned out. I’m sure it would of been quicker and easier to buy new lamps, but since I only paid $20.00 for the shades, I think it was worth my time. I forgot mention where I got my inspiration from. I got my ideas from looking at a few lamp styles that are pictured below.

Inspiration #1

I liked the colors and textures of this Pottery Barn Lamp.

Inspiration #2

I liked the texture and shape of this lamp.

15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!