DIY Anthropologie Primrose Inspired Mirror From An Old Bathroom Mirror

$50

That title is a mouthful, but really this project deserves a thorough name. To put it short and sweet, we took down the large mirror in our main bathroom and replaced it during our renovation. It had been sitting in our girls playroom, acting, as a makeshift dance mirror for over a year until one day I had the idea to turn it into the mirror of my dreams. I've been wanting a large, floor mirror for a while, and I love the Primrose mirror from Anthropologie and the Amelie mirror from Arhaus, but my budget was not in concordance. Some creativity and wrestling of our vanity mirror later, and I had my dream mirror. Here's how it went down!

STEP 1: BUILD THE FRAME

I used I used picture frame moulding to create a frame. Using wood glue and staples to secure the mitered corners (cut on my miter saw). I used corner clamps to hold everything in place while the glue dried.

STEP 2: ATTACH THE MIRROR

To attach the mirror I used Liquid Nails along the back of the frame (**make sure to use a Liquid Nails meant for mirrors), and then secured the mirror to the frame using metal mirror clips. I preferred the metal because of their lower profile. I didn't want to see the clips from the side of the mirror and I wasn't planning to extend the frame to cover that area. I also used two packs of them, so 8 clips total to give as much support as I could to the mirror since my frame was on the thin side. Note, my mirror was 1/4" thick, make sure you use clips made for the correct thickness of your mirror. I also used very small wood screws so they didn't go through the front of the moulding/frame.

STEP 3: WOOD FILL + SAND

I used plastic wood to fill any gaps, and then used a sanding sponge and my multi-tool detail sander to smooth the corners.

STEP 4: STAIN

For the stain I chose to use my favorite staining method, mixing my stain with satin sheen polycrylic. Mixing the two creates a beautiful, splotch-free, professional finish. You can read all about that method in this post. I ended up doing three coats of stain to get the look I wanted. I also used the same stain and method to stain wooden appliqués. I got the appliqués from Amazon, although you can find some pretty ones at places like Lowes and Home Depot, or Michaels and Hobby Lobby. These are the ones I ended up using here, here and here.

STEP 5: ATTACH APPLIQUES

I tried attached the appliqués using wood glue and liquid nails. I think either would work fine, I was in a hurry and didn't give the wood glue the needed time to fully dry and ended up going with the liquid nails. Once you place the appliqués, use clamps to hold them in place until the glue is dry. Also make sure to use a small paint brush to clean up any excess glue that has pressed out from under the appliqués.

AND DONE!

Don't miss out on the play-by-play of projects like this over at my Instagram here! And on my blog The Lauren Jamison Collective!

3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors

• Shelly Graham
    Shelly Graham

Great job, but am 100% in agreement with William. BTW just out of curiosity what are you using to prevent the mirror from sliding on the floor and crashing?

• Ohiorn
      Ohiorn

Beautiful! I love the Santa in the background.

• Kar en
    Kar en

Looks like the mirror is in the bedroom. Why would I take down my bathroom mirror and put one up in the bedroom??

• Lauren
      Lauren

We remodeled our bathroom and changed mirrors. This was the builder grade mirror we took down so I repurposed it for a fill size mirror in our bedroom.

• JustAmy55
    JustAmy55

Beautiful Job! I'm going to have to try this now! Absolutely love it!!!

• Phyllis K
    Phyllis K

Great idea! I'm going to be removing the mirrors in my bathroom & didn't know what to do with the old mirrors. This is perfect!