I planned to use an Easter themed paper plate with the words “He is Risen” that I had found recently at Hobby Lobby, to make a grapevine wreath for a challenge. The grapevine wreath reminds me of the crown of thorns that Jesus was forced to wear during his crucifixion. And so I think it is appropriate to pair it with the Resurrection themed paper plate.
He Is Risen! (a Grapevine Wreath)
I wanted to make tissue paper flowers to go with my wreath, but I could not find any tissue paper just the right shade of peach to coordinate with my paper plate.
I also planned to use some natural dried lamb’s ear leaves that I had dried out last fall.
Since I couldn't find peach tissue paper, I made two other flowers by using * my Cricut* to cut them out. Then I rolled them with a DIY quilling tool and hot glued them. One of the flowers I made out of silky fabric, and the other one I made out of cardstock. I used yellow berries from a berry garland for the stamens. Here is a closeup of the cardstock flower. I added gold glittery paper on the bottom.
I used clear packing tape to attach the paper plate to the twist ties.
Then I attempted to arrange the lamb’s ear leaves in a pleasing arrangement before hot gluing everything together. But it did not look right to me! Something was off! I couldn’t figure out what it was. I am glad I had not glued anything together yet. I decided to “sleep on it” and finish it the next day. While I was drifting off, I thought, “tomorrow I will try smaller leaves. The leaves are too big.” What do you think?
This Did Not Look Right
Sure enough, the next day I tried three small leaves, and they looked perfect! I added some gold and peach 1/8 inch ribbon from my stash. Now I know why the leaves were too big– they were overpowering my “He is Risen” plate. I wanted the paper plate to be the star of the show.
Here is the plate before I added the fabric flower.
And here it is with the fabric flower. I put more gold glitter paper underneath, and added 3 very small lamb’s ear leaves.
Here are some closeups of the fabric flower.
The leaves are still very soft to the touch, even though they are thoroughly dry. I’ve enjoyed using them so much that I plan to dry more leaves for future use in my decorating and crafting!
I used more of the peach and gold ribbon to hang my wreath from my front door. ***To see how I hang my wreaths from my glass half window door, Go Here. ***
Here is my Easter themed Grapevine Wreath, all finished!
Grapevine Wreath, AFTER!
I love this shade of peach. I have a climbing rose that produces a lovely peach flower with a fruit-like fragrance. If I could figure out how to dry these and add them to my wreath, I would! Hmm… maybe I will try that…
I hope you have enjoyed seeing how I created my wreath, and that it inspires you in your own creative endeavors!