Refreshing Patio Chairs: Stapled Cushion How-To

$75

Patio chairs looking tired? With a little bit of spray paint and this DIY stapled cushion how-to, your outdoor furniture will be summer ready!

Outdoor furniture gets tired-looking after a few years, unfortunately. Summer’s coming…time for a makeover! With a little bit of spray paint and fabric, your old metal patio chairs and seats can look fresh and summer-ready in no time! Some would call this reupholstery, but it’s way easier than that!

Get your DIY skills on for this Refreshing Patio Chairs: Stapled Cushion How-To.

These cushions looked great when I did them a few years ago, but rain and sun have taken their toll. If you want, you can take the old fabric off, pulling all the staples. But you can also leave it on and simply put the new fabric on over the top, like I did. Keep the foam cushion if you can; styrofoam is not cheap. If needed, add a little more for some extra cushion.

But before you start the seats, refresh the chair frames. Lightly sand old metal chairs with 120 grit sandpaper to loosen any chipping or flaking paint. Then spray paint with several light coats, drying thoroughly. Paint undersides first, lining chairs up, then turn right side up. Drying in the sunshine works well.

Get a good paint + primer; I love Rustoluem's Ultra Cover, 2X. Whenever I’m using spray paint, I always attach a trigger. It helps save your hand and finger from cramping and helps you achieve more even coverage.

When the frames are drying in the sunshine, you can work on the cushions!

Stapled Seat Cushion How To

Some may call this reupholstery, but this is way easier. All you need is a fabric scissors, some pretty outdoor fabric and an electric staple gun. Here are the step-by-step instructions with pictures to put new stapled seat cushions on your chairs. An electric staple gun makes this job easy.

Once your stapled cushions are all done, you can pop them on your freshly painted chair frames, and enjoy refreshed outdoor chairs! Time to enjoy the deck and patio!

This stapled chair seat process would also work on any indoor chairs you have, too. Maybe your dining chairs could use a refresh with new fabric, too?

For more refreshed & repurposed outdoor-inspired projects see HERE.

For a full Summer Porch Tour, see HERE.

And make sure you FOLLOW ME ON HOMETALK

15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
Lora Bloomquist

• Marie Joseph-Cohoon
    Marie Joseph-Cohoon

What is the name of the fabric you used? Can it be ordered?

• Lois
      Lois
      Just now

I have the same fabric. Made slip cover pillows and cushioned, wheeled ottomans out of dresser drawers with it. It was purchased at Walmart. I believe it was only 3.99/yd. I have seen the fabric at Walmart recently, but I live in Virginia. You may be able to order it from Walmart

• MSLady1125
    MSLady1125

What a wonderful, fresh look!! I know that you will enjoy them for a long time to come.

• Mavis
    Mavis

We have done this to our bench stacking stools. A Tip to round the corners,

use you hair dryer to heat the vinyl fabric to make an nice smooth corner as

it allows a bit of stretching while it is warm.