DIY Bathroom Mirror Glow UP

$20

We have been slowly updating our house since we moved in back in October and it was time for the master bathroom to get a little love! We didn’t want to totally renovate just yet, so adding little updates like this mirror feature updates without the cost that renovation brings with it.

We are trying to do as many updates as possible on a really tight budget so that calls for getting a little creative. Instead of replacing the mirror in our bathroom which can get pricey, we decided to frame it in. Sounds weird but stick with me because it turns out amazing!

I picked up three 1x2 common pine boards at Home Depot for $4 a board and stained them using Varathane Weathered Grey wood stain. To make the stain soak in more evenly I did a coat of sanding sealer before I stained but that is not required.

After staining, Mike cut each board to size using 45 degree angles so that when we assembled the frame, the corners would be flush with each other. At this point, we made things harder than they had to be, so here is what we learned! Assemble the frame on the floor and run a nail in each corner to make sure they don’t slip and stay super solid. Instead of doing this, we assembled the frame on the mirror using a construction adhesive, which is holding up really well and looks great but was more difficult than assembling on the floor first before attaching to the mirror.

We attached the frame directly to the mirror using construction adhesive and used painters tape to tape the frame just until the construction adhesive had time to cure over night.

In the morning, we removed the tape and had a brand new beautiful mirror for less than $20! That’s a DIY win in my book!

30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs

To see more: https://www.threefinchsisters.com/blog/sjv24zin5w8g9hr4f88i5705fjb93x

• Jean Moore
    Jean Moore

How did you accommodate the plastic mirror clips that hold it to the wall?

• Teresa
      Teresa

You could take a Dremel rotary tool and sand out notches so the wood would lay flush. Just measure carefully. Then fill in with wood filler and touch up with paint.

• Harley
    Harley

So did you actually sand the 4 boards and then apply sealer (before stain)? Which brand of sealer did u use and also which type of adhesive (I see the caulking gun and level in the photo, but not the brad names of the products - usually in a bathroom with high humidity it's a silicone base). I assume you need to hammer some thin nails in each corner (1 vertically and 1 horizontally?) to maintain shape, and then mount to the mirror?

• Kathy
    Kathy

May I ask what brand of construction adhesive did you use. I have the same mirror set up and hate that it looks so bland.

• Kathy
      Kathy

Thank you as I have two bathrooms and framing would be an improvement. you just glued to the miror?