Dying gazebo curtains

+14

Does anyone have an idea how I can dye/paint my faded curtains that hang from my outside gazebo?

q dying gazebo curtains

Faded gazebo curtains

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Mar 24, 2021

Hi Ramona, I would look into fabric dyes. They can really work wonders!

• Simple Nature Decor Simple Nature Decor on Mar 24, 2021

You can use Rit dye

• Betsy Betsy on Mar 24, 2021

Hi Ramona: You can put them into a large tub with dye. Of course it depends on what you want to use to colour them with. Beet juice and warm water will make a nice pink colour, depending on how much juice and how long you soak them. Same with tea leaves, coffee grounds, etc. Just keep stirring them now and then so that they don't get too much colour in one spot. Then, once you get the colour you want, rinse them in cool water with about 1/2 cup of salt to set the colour. Dry them and then, wash as usual. Here's a few sites that tells you about that, if you don't want to use chemicals:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/vgen/fruit-vegetable-plant-dyes.htm

https://www.popsugar.com/smart-living/Homemade-Natural-Dyes-31861660

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qTdUGlPP3g

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Mar 25, 2021

Hi! There are paints and dyes you can use. I actually spray painted my umbrella so it would look good for another year, before replacing it. It looked so good, a neighbor asked if they could have it, and is still using it, after we replaced it. With curtains, I would probably use a Rit dye

and dye them outside. It's easy to do them in the washing machine, but I found the clean up to be time consuming. Now, when I dye something I usually use a container outdoors. Read labels, so that you are using the right product. It's hard to get even coverage, so consider a light color. Good luck!

• Flipturn Flipturn on Mar 25, 2021

Are the curtains 100% cotton, or do they have some synthetic (polyester perhaps) in the fabric content? If so, then the fabric will not take regular dye consistently. The effect will be blotchy and unattractive. You will need to seek out dye made specifically for synthetic fibers.

Also, as the curtain material is faded in different areas and to various degrees, trying to dye it will result in uneven color in the different areas. I would suggest to first use a dye remover product, to remove the remaining color that still exists in the fabric, before trying to dye a new color.

• Use Rit Dye and dye them in the washing machine

• Cheryl A Cheryl A on Mar 25, 2021

here is some info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fTrU-ENmYc

• Kmdreamer Kmdreamer on Mar 25, 2021

I your washing machine pick up the ritz die and follow directions on the back I use 2 boxes

• Maura White Maura White on Mar 25, 2021

I don't see why not. Just get fabric dye you use to make tie dye t-shirts - like Ritz. You'll need a big bucket to dip it all in and the screen may come out a different shade since it looks like it's different material than the curtains.

• Sharon Sharon on Mar 25, 2021

I dye stuff with Rit Dye in those large 5 gallon storage tubs out in the yard on a nice day. 3 Tubs, 1 with dye, 1 with clean water, and 1 for holding the wrung out items to hang on the clothesline. Be sure to get the water hot enough to recommended temperature. Be sure to wear long kitchen rubber gloves.

• Dee Dee on Mar 26, 2021

If you have a top loader washer, put the hottest water available in the washer with some Rit dye and let sit overnight. Stir around a few times. In the morning wash as usual.

Be sure to clean your washer with bleach after dying. I miss my top loader, a front loader does not soak.

• Annie Annie on Mar 27, 2021

I would use a laundry tub/sink and fabric dye....

• Mlle LaFleur Mlle LaFleur on Mar 27, 2021

Log on to the Rit Dye site [www.ritdye.com] and get their expert, tried and true advice on dyeing. And they have recipes for a blend of colors.

• Lindsay Aratari Lindsay Aratari on Mar 29, 2021

You could use RIT Dye

• Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Mar 31, 2021

Rit dye for sure will help