By re -using and recycling our old baseboards coupled with molding purchased from kijiji. The wainscoting molding and chair rail is a great way to instantly add value to your your home at an affordable price. Full post of how i installed wainscoting can be found Wainscoting + Chair Railing - illuminatedhut
How to Install Chair Railing
2. Check for studs using the stud finder and place a piece of tape along your marking, I used painters tape
3. Make a cut list then cut your molding to fit across each wall with a 45 degree angle
4. Sand all of pieces with a sand paper.
5. Clean your chair rail and remove all the dust.
6. Paint your chair rail.
4. Starting with the longest piece, attach your molding to the wall using glue followed by a brad nailer.
5. I used a nail gun but you can also achieve this by using a hammer and small nails.
6. Fill your holes with a wood filler
7. Follow with paintable caulking
8. Sand everything and paint.
a full post of the wainscoting can be found on my blog Wainscoting + Chair Railing - illuminatedhut
Nan on Apr 26, 2021
We did a similar project...chair rail was installed as yours was but instead of just trim being installed as rectangles we cut a rectangular piece of dry wall and affixed it to the wall then surrounded it with trim... so the panel is raised. Yours looks really great.
Illuminatedhut on Apr 27, 2021
What a great idea, never thought you could do it that way .