DIY Built-In Loft for a Bedroom

5 materials
$200

Are you struggling with the small bedroom blues like we were? We needed to figure out how to comfortably fit our two girls into a small bedroom, and I think you might be interested to find out how we solved our space issue.

Before, we tried out this loft bed from Amazon, but it just didn't work well and took up too much floor space.

I came to the conclusion that the only way to get the most out of this space, was to customize a loft bed for the bedroom. First, we measured the total width of the room for the length of our loft. The width is 37" to accommodate a twin size mattress.

Next, I built a frame out of 2x4 lumber to act as the general support for the loft. I made sure to frame in a spot for the ladder as well.

This frame was then mounted to the wall. I attached it with 3.5 inch screws at every stud. There were 10 studs in all so this loft is well supported. If you are building a loft for larger people such as adults or older children, you may upgrade your lumber to 2x6s'. However, this loft can support an adult without flexing.

I covered the frame with 1/4in plywood to create a floor and then attached 12" 2x4 pieces to the side to support a railing.

1x4 lumber attached to the 2x4's created a sturdy railing to keep kiddos from taking a tumble. I chose to stain the railing with Varathane's golden oak, and paint the rest of the frame white.

To cozy up the space a bit I used stick on carpet tiles.

I absolutely love this loft and how it frees up the floor space in this bedroom.

It has also added a cozy play area and reading nook that is a favorite retreat.

Be sure to check out the video and blog for the full tutorial.

Check out the video tutorial!

Heather Cammack

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 4 questions

Comments

2 of 12 comments
Next