Best Hydrangea Tips, a Full Guide! How to Grow, Prune, Dry, Display +

When I was little, my grandma had these massive hydrangea bushes growing along the entire side of her house. I remember playing in her yard, wondering how on earth she could grow such wondrous flowers like that! She must have been magic... :)
Today, I have 2 of my own. And the secret's out... they are EASY keepers if you provide all the right conditions for them.
Hydrangeas are one of the most abundant,
hydrangea grow prune dry decorate, flowers, gardening, home decor, hydrangea
Below are my best tips on the wonderful world of hydrangeas...
1. GROWING / Hydrangeas are pretty easy keepers, but they do love some shade and moist, fertile soil. I live on the west coast of BC Canada and don't lift a finger for mine, yet the yield is always enormous. Damper, cooler conditions work well for these guys.
Tip: the petals can wilt and sunburn if located in direct, hot sun long term.
2. PRUNING / The best time to prune hydrangeas is in the fall after the booms are a done deal.
Be careful to leave a bud on the stem for next year, or your bush may not bloom the following summer. They do not like to be pruned hard.
3. DRYING / Time your pruning when the blooms GO SLIGHTLY CRISPY in the fall and you'll have the best chance of having them dry wilt free and last for an entire year.
Place the cut blooms in water until the petals are completely dry. Better yet, leave them in that container so they slowly mould to that position. The petals are very brittle once dried.
I have also placed crispy hydrangeas in places with no water and they've done beautifully. Just remember they need to be crispy for this to work.
4. CHANGING COLOURS / Hydrangea blooms change their hues come fall. Here's a blue bush during summer... and the next picture shows what happened in fall.
A fresh, apple green tone! So fun to have seemingly two plants in one. So don't forget about your amazing hydrangeas during the fall season and enjoy them in a whole new way.
5. DECORATING / Place them in position, fresh off the plant if you can, in cups of water. Then stage them any way you desire. They will dry on the spot!
These abundant blooms are perfect for large spaces due to the volume they consume quickly.
WREATH MAKING / Poke stems into a grapevine wreath, and keep going until the wreath form is completely covered. There was no glue used for this project. Amazing, isn't it?
Find out MORE! Click blog link below for / how to get them to change colour while growing, even more decorating ideas, plus where to find the goods!
Funky Junk Interiors - Donna

• Trb22278945

Can I grow lush hydrangeas n the west, sunny, side of my house in La Jolla Jolla, ca

• Fran

I have to beautiful hydrangeas I found out I have the old ones that you don’t cute down every year, when you do in the fall trim only the ones that have the flowers on them and I only cute down about 6 to 8 inches . Next year the others will Blum and the same every year. They will start filling more good luck.

• Charlene Pollitz

My hydranuia bush has never bloomed the leaves are very green in a moist part shade part sun but it will not bloom what to do ?
    • Hi Charlene, I'd suggest to talk to a local nursery and see what they say with a sample cut. From my own knowledge, a hydrangea will not bloom if it's cut back too far each year. I hope you can find an answer!
  • Kma25930661

I believe I cut my hydrangeas too far back last year because I had no blooms this year. If I don't prune them at all, will they begin to bloom once again?

• Clou77

Does anyone know what to add to the soil to make the color of the flower more blue, purple or pink? I've read the coffee grinds and a copper penny to keep them blue...

• Clou77

Thanks Laura! :)