Lindsay Jackman
Lindsay Jackman
  • Greenville, SC

DIY Wood Round Headboard

When designing our bedroom, I knew I wanted a rustic headboard to balance the more feminine items in the room. I loved the idea of a stack of wood, so when a tree fell down in our yard, we cut it up into wood slices and inspiration struck!
diy headboard wood stump round, bedroom ideas, diy, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects
We let the wood slices dry out for several months and then we were ready to go! We started with a plywood base and stained it dark so that the bits you would see between wood pieces would look like shadows in a real stack of wood.
Then, we attached the wood slices using Liquid Nails and screwed them in from the back to make sure they were extra secure since we were going to be sleeping under them!
With just a little polyurethane to finish it off, it was ready to be installed in the room!
Lindsay Jackman

• Lor19400008

what about spiders or other insects?

• Freida DeYoung-Thomas

How thick are the wood slices? They appear to be about 3 - 3 1/2 inches. Cedar wood would be ideal. I have the logs but no way of slicing them.

• Michael Soule

I had a similar project, I located a lumber yard that sliced my wood. I had mine cut at 1 3/4 inch to 2 1/4 inch thickness as I wanted to have depth added to my project. I had the lumber yard place the sliced wood in their kiln and bring the moisture level down to 20-25%, according to the expert at the mill that would slow down if not stop cracking of the wood. Then I applied seven coats of Poly-Urthelthane over a period of weeks. Make sure to follow manufacturers guidance on making additional coats. My wall looks so good, I obtained some indirect lighting and when I illuminate the wall it is breathtaking.

• Cindy R Starr

I purchased a lot of these wood cookies ( we call them) and I was letting them dry out as well but almost all of mine cracked really bad What could I have done to prevent that?

• Kimberley Case

and if you want-- make sure the log you are slicing is ultra dry-- leave to cure for couple years-- serious... that long-- ( my bf is a home builder and just looked over shoulder and piped in lol)

• Joanie

I love your idea, but I'm thinkin' something needs to fill your slices.......maybe some bark slices to fill in those spaces.?????? Maybe slice them and lay them flat on their sides and show the bark??????? My mind is whirling.....you got me inspired!!! I love that green chest, I'm a green lover. and I want it!! I'm not detouring what you have done, I just have some ideas and thoughts. Joanie

• Anita

This looks absolutely Amazing!!!