Turn Old Bookshelf Into Rolling Kitchen Island!

I found an oversized bookshelf next to a Dumpster! I knew it could be put to use in two new ways. Make smaller shelving and a rolling kitchen island. Check out how I did it!
This is the bookshelf I started with. Big, bulky and blah.
I laid it on its side and measured it to divide it completely in half. I used a leveler and a piece of painters tape for accuracy. I cut this apart using my circular saw.
Once I had the bookshelf split in two, I added a piece of scrap ply wood to the cut side and screwed it down. This will now be the new bottom. I then added casters to the corners for mobility.
I wanted a new top for my creation. I used wood planks I picked up at a construction site that were being thrown out. Get permission from the contractor before you help yourself. I used Gorilla Wood Glue to set the boards down. Usually they are really happy to give you stuff they don't have to haul to the dump.
I screwed the boards to the bookshelf to secure them. Next I sanded thoroughly with a belt sander for smoothness.
Here is my finished project! I painted the body of the piece in CeCe Caldwell's Thomasville Teal and used their new 100% natural stain on top in Kukui. I also built those boxes and used leftover rope. All from scrap pieces!
For more details on how to build one yourself, and a Youtube Video showing each step, check my link!

Redoux Interiors

• Susan Dye

What's with the hinge sticking out on the side?

• Redoux Interiors

It's a hinge on my wall that belongs to the giant converted window turned chalk board. Thanks!