Rustic IKEA Hacked Cabinet

Rustic is not usually a word used to describe IKEA. IKEA is better know for their modern furniture, simple lines, meatballs and funny Swedish words.
Today I’m going to change how you perceive furniture forever! Are you ready for this?
This tale starts with a hunter green stained IKEA storage chest that I bought for our first apartment and stained myself (can you tell what decade it was? Hint: hunter green, honey pine, throw some burgundy in there and I’m sure you’ll be guessing no more.)
I did some mental gymnastics and began to hatch a plan to create a marriage that would last longer than two decades.
It began with some pieces of old picket fence that I found by a dumpster. They were perfectly chippy and rustic! Luckily the 3M Lead Check results were perfectly negative. I carefully took the fence apart and removed all the nails.
Ready to see how I convinced the two polar opposites that they belonged together — rustic and modern — to create a match made in heaven? Let’s explore this couples’ counseling further:
The full tutorial with step-by-step instructions is on my blog, link below the photos.
Tell me the honest truth. Is there anyway you would have guessed that this cabinet used to be an ugly stained IKEA chest?
I finally have a cute little dresser in my foyer!

Brittany aka Pretty Handy Girl

• Lisa

how are the legs different - is this the same piece?

• Kathy D

She obviously changed the legs. I guess you have to go to her tutorial to see how. You can see in the 4th picture down the addition of the legs. And she used pieces of new wood in between. Hope that helps.