Reclaimed Kitchen Island and Pallet Countertop

$50

When we removed the wall between the kitchen and the dining room a kitchen island was top on my list. After the wall came down I was more worried I didn’t have enough space to add an island. And after a while I actually decided against it
Finished countertop
While at the local thrift store, I spotted a dresser. You know one that reaches out and screams “take me home”. It was in decent shape and had lots of potential. With my discount coupon the dresser would only cost me $30. That’s a pretty good deal to pass up.
First, I needed a counter top. I didn’t really want to fork out a bunch of money and I wanted a size to fit my kitchen. That’s when a plan hit me. It was an idea I had a few months ago and I was willing to give it a try.
That’s when I built the counter top out of pallet runners. If you missed the countertop post you can find it at Pallet Runner Countertop Unfinished.
After building the countertop and sanding it down, I added stained the countertop and sealed it with Polycrylic. It took a few coats but it turned out awesome!
Next, It was time to work on the dresser. I added pallet boards to the back and sides of the dresser and painted everything black with chalk paint. Then, I lightly distressed the edges of the drawers and the corners of the dresser just a little bit. I didn’t want to over do it.
I then dusted off the dresser and sealed everything with Polycrylic.
The pallet wood really looks rugged in the photos but in person it doesn’t. My camera really picks up the shine from the poly.
Anyways, finally, I added the countertop
Ignore the ugly blue peel-n-stick tiles. We’re planning on redoing the entire first floor with new flooring, but first I have to finish working on the kitchen cabinets, finish painting and rip up the floor before adding the new flooring.
I can’t wait to rip that blue flooring out.
I’m loving my new/old kitchen island. The cost of the dresser was the only expense of this project. Everything I used was left from previous projects. That includes the chalk paint, poly and nails.

Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Andrea Fogleman

• Lena McMillan
    Lena McMillan

I love your pallet countertop! So creative. Could you tell me what stain you used? Thanks!

• Lisa Brown
    Lisa Brown

Thanks for the idea...I'm gonna give it a try !!!

• Rknrbyn
    Rknrbyn

What a darling primitive, rustic kitchen, it is going to be fab when you are finished I just know it. I love that you are repurposing the pallets and vintage dresser for such a good use. Keeping them out of the landfills. Well Done.