Nikki
Nikki
  • Atlanta, GA

I Turned a Tire into an Ottoman!

I can't stop smiling! Every time I walk pass my sunroom I want to pat myself on the back. I've been wanting a round ottoman forever. So I got a tire and made one! Take a look at the before and after pics and the how-to here:
i turned a tire into an ottoman, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling

To see more: http://thatwasawhat.blogspot.com/2012/08/another-tire-saved-from-landfill.html

• Mary rudolph

Nikki, this looks great. Love the recycle idea. What size rope did you use? There is all kinds of sizes at home depot. Can't wait to make this for my family room. Thanks, Mary

• Mary rudolph

Nikki, I wanted to know what size rope did you use? This looks great and I would like to try to make it. Thanks, Mary

• Speedbird2

March 2016. Well here it is 2016 and your ottoman is still a hit. I have a question: When you cut the plywood circles to fit the tire hole what keeps the wood from falling into the center of the tire?? Thanks for the idea and I look forward to your response, speedbird2@comcast.net

• Nikki

Hi Speedbird2, sorry for the delay in responding. You've probably already figured out how to do it by now, but I used screws to secure the wood to the tire. They drill right through the wood into the rubber and grip just fine.

• Nee2747679

Looks absolutely wonderful, well done. Just one question please, don't the tyres smell strongly of rubber?

• Nikki

Hi Neetbaker, sorry for the delay in responding. As long as you use an old tire the smell isn't a problem.

• CDB

Where did you get the legs for your ottoman? I can't wait to make one for my living room.

• Nikki

Hi, for the very first one I made back in 2012 I used legs from an old chest I happened to have. For the ones I started making for my online store I ordered them from a local furniture parts distributor.

• Joan

Hi Nikki. You are amazing! How much rope did you need? Aldo

• Nikki

The very first one I made took about 10 bags I think (this was back in 2012, so my recollection could be off). When I started making them for my online store I bought the rope in bulk and each ottoman took one full roll. Hope this kind of helps!

• Joan

Did you have to allow drying time?

• Nikki

Hi Joan, no, the glue dries quickly. By the time you glue on one strand and move to the next the previous one will have adhered to the tire.

• Mka9438279

how did you install the legs?

• Avis

What kind of rope

• Rebecca Knaub Teague

what kind of glue did you use?

• Sue Ryan

I have been looking for a big round ottoman also. They are so expensive. Great idea. Do you have pictures of the steps?

• Nikki

Hi Sue, pictures of the steps are on my blog, thatwasawhat.blogspot.com.

• Janice Peterson

have you used the ottoman as a seat if so how has it held up to being sat upon? I can see how it gets less stress as an ottoman but I would find myself sitting on it as well.

• Nikki

Hi Janice, I have only used them as ottomans since the wood I use for the center is pretty thin. I suppose you could try a thicker wood for the center to make it sturdier for sitting. Good luck!

• Miriam

where are your instructions on how to do it because I would like to try

• Nikki

Hi Miriam, they are on my blog: thatwasawhat.blogspot.com. There should be a link in my original post. Good luck!

• Ann Moore

Can you smell the rubber?