DIY Nightstand Makeover Using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint!

This was my first time using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. I made over some nightstands I bought from a used furniture store and I couldn't be more pleased with the results! (But there were definitely some lessons learned along the way...)
Before...
First, I fixed all the hardware on the nightstands making sure all the handles were screwed in tightly.
The water stains were pretty atrocious so I decided to sand them down...
But in doing so, I learned that it was a wood laminate top instead of solid wood, so I couldn't stain the top like I had wanted to. But at least by sanding it, it removed all of the imperfections and created a smooth surface to be able to paint.
Next I prepped the nightstand for painting.
I chose "Pure White" Chalk Paint and started painting...
This is what it looked like after the first coat of Chalk Paint. It didn't cover as much as I had heard it would, so I was a little disappointed. I painted a second layer and it still wasn't fully covered like I wanted it to be.
Then I realized that the water stains were seeping through the chalk paint, and no matter how many coats you put on them, they will still show through. So I ran to Lowe's and bought Kilz Primer (multi-surface stain blocker) and painted the primer over the chalk paint. Total waste of time painting the chalk paint first--but lesson learned.
Then added another layer of Chalk Paint and it was much better looking!
This is what the nightstand looked like after 4 coats of paint (eek!) :)
I used the clear soft wax and waxed a thin layer over the whole nightstand and then I distressed the edges with sandpaper and LOVED the look of it!
LEFT: distressed RIGHT: not distressed
It's a subtle difference, but really great looking when you see the detail up close :)
And that's it! I'm so happy with the way they turned out, and the look great in our bedroom. :) I'd love you hear about your stories using Chalk Paint so comment in the section below! Thanks!

15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes

• Donna Dell
    Donna Dell

I have used several kinds of chalk paint. Annie Sloan is by far the best. The pure white is the most difficult to use, has no pigment in it. It will take more coats to cover your furniture. Love these stands!

• C
    C

I have also used several kinds of chalk paint and have had great results especially with Annie Sloan paints. I do agree with Donna that white requires more coats. Any other paint colour with pigment covers beautifully in 2 coats. I love your night stands and I just recently painted side tables with Napoleonic Blue using clear and black wax.