Coffee Grounds Repurposed

817K Views
Whether you brew coffee through a filter or brew coffee from a K-Cup, hang onto those used grounds! In the warmer months, I use them for my acid loving plants. Here in my kitchen this winter, my coffee grounds are used for exfoliating my dry and smelly hands.
Time: 1 MinutesCost: $0Difficulty: Easy
I love using fresh garlic. However, I don't love the sticky residue it leaves on my hands and especially don't like the garlic smell on my fingers.
K-Cups hold the perfect portion of coffee grounds to rub into your garlic smelling hands.
If you brew coffee through a filter, keep a container of used grounds near your kitchen sink. If you use K-Cups you could also toss them into a container.
Just dump some coffee grounds onto your hands and rub-a-dub-dub. No soap needed! You don't need much. Be careful not to clog your sink drain.
Rub some grounds on your hands after cutting up garlic, onions, or fish. Great as an exfoliant too!
Rinse with plain water. For me, not only does the smell go away once I've washed with coffee grounds but, my hands are super-duper smooth. Please excuse me now while I take my afternoon coffee break ;)

Suggested materials for this project:

Trash Find Redesigned

Want more details about this project and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!

Ask a Question
      • They need to be dried. Spread them out until they air dry, then store.
        JacJac Southport, NC · answered Mar 08, 2016
      • coffee grounds are a natural nutrient to put around the base of your rose bushes. They give away bags of them in star bucks.
        JudyJudy Hatboro, PA · answered Apr 03, 2016
      • I have always put the grinds around base of my azaleas.
        Yvonne BYvonne B Thomaston, GA · answered Apr 10, 2016
      • I put them in a plastic container in my freezer or ziplock bags.
        NolviaNolvia Kissimmee, FL · answered Apr 17, 2016
      • I was going to suggest refrigerating/freezing the remaining grounds/"cuppies"
      • spread out grounds on cookie sheet and put in low oven for about fifteen minutes or so. Dries them so they don't get moldy.
      • Also use full caffeine used coffee grounds as an ant killer. They take grounds back to nest and everyone eats the grounds and go into caffeine shock and die. Not harmful for kids or pets or wildlife but lethal to ants.
      • Wow ! Thank you for the tip w/Ants. Never knew.
      • I would think these cups would be a great plant starter.
        NancyNancy Nashville, TN · answered Sep 08, 2016
      • I love your sink, some day...
        Armada157Armada157 Roseville, MI · answered Sep 26, 2016
      • I use K-cups to start my tomato seeds
      • I leave my coffee grounds the coffee filter and place them on my spoon rest to dry out. I saved one of my big non coffee cans "non plastic" and fill it up. When it's full,it's off to the garden I go.
        Joy RushJoy Rush Elgin, TX · answered Oct 08, 2016
      • I found a simple way to stop mold growth- just stir up the grounds after each addition. It really works. Someone on home talk suggested it a couple months ago.
      • I add the grounds to my compost bin
      • I put the grounds in a zip bag and keep in refrigerator till full and then empty in my composter.
      • Yes! Great for worm composting bins too!
        EmyEmy Fontana, CA · answered Jan 02, 2017
      • Sorry but I beg to differ with Diane. Caffeine maybe great to keep ants out but it is also lethal to dogs! Look it up! Just be careful of where you put it so your dogs don't ingest any of it. I don't know if it will hurt cats but if you love your pets don't take any chances of them getting into any of your coffee grounds. I always spread my wet grounds on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven on 250 degrees for about 15 minutes stirring them every little bit then leave them on the counter over night to be sure they are good and dry. Then I keep my dried used coffee grounds in an empty clearly marked coffee can until I need them. I also use them in my garden and flower beds during the summer months. Hosta's also love them as well as azealeas, tomatoes, squash, etc.
        ArdaleArdale Poplar Bluff, MO · answered Jan 21, 2017
      • Just don't save that much, if your drinking coffee you will always have it
        JamieJamie Whitestone, NY · answered Feb 18, 2017
      • They are not much good if you don't have a lot!
        Mary LouMary Lou Pekin, IL · answered Mar 08, 2017

• I might use the seat area for a potted plant if you're not repairing the chair.
      • thanks
      • Weave a jute or hemp seat to go with that same feel . Might need to reinforce frame.
      • You can get the plastic strips that look just like cane or rattan. I't soft and easier to work with than the real thing.

• That sounds like a good idea because the grounds are perfect for the compost pile, as well as directly adding to plants that like acidic soil.
      • Are african Violets acid lovers??? I have one that is growing great... but NO flowers, maybe add coffee grounds ?
      • @Erin Brennan....I have African Violets and they bloom every year. I use plant food specifically for A.V. If you use coffee grounds, do not water your A.V. plants until the soil is dry. The coffee grounds in the soil mix will keep the soil wet longer, which could eventually lead to rot or fungus problems. The food for A.V. I use is 14 drops to 1/2 gallon of water and just water them when they are dry. I never let them sit in water either (if I water from the bottom) as this will also cause rot. Hope this helps!!
        KWKW Pinson, AL · answered Aug 19, 2017

• No
      • Like YES I have. All over body in the shower. Winter dryness-GONE. All has very smooth -& natural oils from coffee beans.

• Olivia Aguayo McClain
      Olivia Aguayo McClain Imperial, CA

Great Tip

• Carole
        Carole Australia

Good post! I do a weekly collection to a local café and take away their weeks worth of coffee grounds. It is usually best to compost them before adding to the garden. Like your tip for smelly hands and exfoliating, there are many other uses. Putting the grounds un-composted around your plants can be a little too much for them. I believe they add nitrogen back to the soil which acid loving plants like. For good composting, 25% nitrogen and 75% carbon is the way to go, so adding too much to your compost is not a good idea. Needs to be balanced with brown stuff such as newspaper, brown cardboard, brown autumn leaves, dried out brown grass clippings and dried brown garden prunings.

• Gwen B
            Gwen B Morristown, TN

@Carole I used to work at a convenience store and saved all the grinds from the morning coffee crowd rush at least once a month. I would work them into my soil.