Dresser Drawer Upcyle: Window Boxes

A few years ago, someone gave me one of those plastic coated pressboard made-to-look-like-wood dressers and it wreaked of cigarette smoke. But I'll pretty much take anything that's free! I decided to repurpose the drawers rather than try to do anything with the whole piece.

Wouldn't you agree that window boxes dress up any home?! I felt my home desperately needed some.

Use the drawers from an old dresser

The dresser in it's sad, cheap before state.

Cut the backs off

The first year I used these, we cut the back half off and screwed them to the house, lining the press board drawers with plastic. It was fall, so I just stuck some pretty dried weeds from the ditch in some stryofoam and called it good.

Paint drawers

The pressboard obviously warped and didn't look too great the next summer.... so we improved upon them:

Add wood brackets and long planters

I happened to find these long plastic planters on a curb for free (I know, you're wondering how I get everything for free, but it just happens!) and we used wood brackets (also free because they were scraps from the end of the beams for our pergola) that we screwed into the house to set the planters on.

Add flowers

Since we recently moved to a different home, I sadly don't have any window boxes yet. I would also need a LOT more because there are so many windows on the front of our new house. We'll see! Maybe it will be a project for this summer. Or next....

To see more details please visit: http://www.kammyskorner.com/2013/08/dresser-drawer-window-boxes-new-and.html

Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
Kammy's Korner

• Marjorie

What are the drawer fronts attached to, the brackets or the flower pot?

• Kitty

Could also set screws into the dresser front to attach it to the corbals use wood puddy to fill in where you set in the screw then paint it.

• Beth

How did you secure the front of the drawer to the plastic planter?

• Susan Hartley

Any ideas for a buffet in the kitchen

• C Lynn Mak

You are very creative! Thank you sharing this!

• Mª Dolores Márquez

not question only I want sais ist very nice your idea. i am sorry my english is very bad. Congratulecions

• Shan

A compliment is a good thing however you say it. And I’m sure everyone understood it perfectly, and appreciated it.