Dresser Drawer Upcyle: Window Boxes

A few years ago, someone gave me one of those plastic coated pressboard made-to-look-like-wood dressers and it wreaked of cigarette smoke. But I'll pretty much take anything that's free! I decided to repurpose the drawers rather than try to do anything with the whole piece.
dresser drawer upcyle window boxes, container gardening, gardening, repurposing upcycling
Wouldn't you agree that window boxes dress up any home?! I felt my home desperately needed some.
The dresser in it's sad, cheap before state.
The first year I used these, we cut the back half off and screwed them to the house, lining the press board drawers with plastic. It was fall, so I just stuck some pretty dried weeds from the ditch in some stryofoam and called it good.
The pressboard obviously warped and didn't look too great the next summer.... so we improved upon them:
I happened to find these long plastic planters on a curb for free (I know, you're wondering how I get everything for free, but it just happens!) and we used wood brackets (also free because they were scraps from the end of the beams for our pergola) that we screwed into the house to set the planters on.
Since we recently moved to a different home, I sadly don't have any window boxes yet. I would also need a LOT more because there are so many windows on the front of our new house. We'll see! Maybe it will be a project for this summer. Or next....
To see more details please visit: http://www.kammyskorner.com/2013/08/dresser-drawer-window-boxes-new-and.html
Kammy's Korner

• Jan

This is a great & beautiful idea. It really dresses up the front windows.

Why couldn't you use most of the drawer, & then you wouldn't see the pots at each end ? You could always drill drain holes in the bottom of drawer for water leakage.

Jan

• MaryLea Mann Benson

In the picture with the weeds you can see the sides of the drawers. She stated that the pressboard warped. This would be why the sides and bottom are open.

• Helen a

what is the plant behind the hostas---thanks

• Esther Faunce DiPaola

I always wanted window boxes. But my siding goes all the way up to the bottom of the window. Would you DRILL holes in the siding??

• Debbie Wood

I put rollers on dresser drawers & slide under the bed for storage. For handles, I cut up old men’s ties and stapled to the fronts. Just another idea for you.

• Mikie

kewl idea, very nice.