Angie Forte
Angie Forte
  • Lascassas, TN

Super Easy Coffee Filter Craft Makes Beautiful Flowers

$5

I've always loved the look of fresh peonies in the house but I've never had any luck growing my own. With this super easy craft, I can have the look of a peony bloom without having to grow them. All it takes is about 10 white coffee filters, washable markers, a peat pot to hold the bloom, and a burlap ribbon to top it off.
Start with a small stack (about 10) of coffee filters. Cut the ridges off of the filters to form the petals.
Slap on some color from the washable markers you've chosen for your flower color. Seriously, you just scribble the color on the ends of the filter stack. No need to separate them. The color will bleed onto the others in the next step.
Now, dip the stack of colored filters into a shallow bowl of water, holding it there for a few seconds as it absorbs water up into the filters causing the marker color to bleed onto each filter. Place upside down on a plate and allow to dry. This is the longest part of the whole project.
Once dry, separate and pinch each individual filter like in the photo. However, keep one filter to use as the outer "petal" into which you will glue all of the others. Daub a dime size amount of glue into the center of the outer "petal" and place the ends of the others into it. Lightly pinch it together to form the bloom. Allow glue to dry.
I used a peat pot and a burlap ribbon and bow to hold my blooms. After gluing on the ribbon and bow, run a small bead of glue around the top of the peat pot and gently mash the bloom into the pot. Once it's dry, you're ready to use in your decor!
For more photos and instructions, check out the blog post here: http://thealteredpast.blogspot.com/2015/03/beautiful-coffee-filter-flowers.html
Angie Forte

• Arlene

What is a washable marker? Permanent doesn't work.

• Denise

I used food coloring and tossed the bunch in the clothes dryer. They came out all crinkly and wonderful. I cut them differently and even made roses.
  • Xcj14087281

how big are the peat pots"

• Angie Forte

Hi, the peat pots are about 4 inches tall and 3 inches across. I got a pack of them at the dollar store. Thanks!

• Earlene

Soo each flower takes 3 filters right ?

• Belinda

I will use this as a Mother's Day gift for my Kindergarten students to make. Thank you.

• Mary

Awesome and lovely!! Can’t wait to make some for the nursing home folks!! Brighten up their rooms very easily...plus, they deserve it!!!🌼

• Angie Forte

Oh that’s a great use for these flowers! Hope the residents enjoy them! 💖

• Helen

Another option is food coloring. I scallop my edges, stack and stagger filters. Place staple in center then scrunch!!!! I like your idea and will give it a try. Thanks for posting. Helen