Outdoor Repurposed Shutter Screen

$5

I was looking for a way to hide the ugly but necessary utility boxes and wires on the back of the house I wanted something that looked like it belonged not something that shouted "what are you trying to hide" I have a bit of an obsession with shutters so that's what I decided to use for the screen ~
Habitat ReStore's are a great place to get vinyl shutters cheap I got these for a buck a piece - total cost of my project was only $5!
The screen was simple to assemble since the shutters have predrilled screw holes (I love a simple project!) I just used garden twine to tie them together ~ easy to assemble & disassemble for winter storage
I put patio blocks down and leveled them the best I could to make a base for my screen to sit on ~ I thought I might need to put some posts in to attach the screen to but this is a pretty sheltered location so I've had no issues with wind tipping it over ~ easy up, easy down
I think the screen makes a great backdrop for this little area ~ it changes from year to year sometimes even season to season depending on my mood, it's more attractive then what's hiding behind it and because our meter is read remotely the screen doesn't get in the way of a meter reader ~ :o)

30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
15 Perfectly Round Tables
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/dianasdiyden

• Judith

I have an outdoor central air unit, I think your shutter idea would be wonderful for. Thank you for sharing it !

• Rebecca S

That's what I was thinking. If an AC is totally hidden, then you might be trapping leaves and debris that would hinder the AC from working at its full capacity.

Meters don't have any moving parts to hinder. Our meters are read both remotely and visually every few months to make sure that the remotes are working correctly. I thought every municipality did it this way.

• Brandy Rodman Vega

it is windy here and I’m trying to think of a way to secure them. Any ideas??

• Barb

I would put a long rod down both side attach it to the shutters with a few wire ties or some kind of clamp and in to the ground . Just like a trellis you could move it around even .

The meter guy can read the meter easy enough if you leave a few feet away from the house. The way she has it I don't think it is right against the house in the photo .

I would paint a shirt over the top or some kind of clothing just for kicks lol.If this area is near a pool it would look really cool with a towel painted on it to look real draped over the top .

I thought of this myself a few years back to hide trash cans but the shutters were gone before I got them .So there is another Idea for using them as well as what she did .

• Linda
    Yesterday

could this be used on an outdoor heat pump unit that is right next to my screened in room, I just love this idea, thank you very much!!!