Upcycled Menu Board

I see cool coffee tables all the time in the thrift store, but usually pass on by. I don't need one! I came across this one and just couldn't let it go. The top was gorgeous and so was the base. I removed the top from the base and transformed it into an awesome chalkboard menu board for the kitchen! Now, I need to do something with that base. **CLARIFICATION!!! This was not an antique...a reproduction with a missing top. It was probabaly marble.**
The pretty floral motif makes for an unusual piece for a wall hanging. We simply hung with a mirror wire kit. HINT: When you hang something large and heavy like this, use 2 screws spaced apart to keep it level.
Great bones to this $4 coffee table.
We measured the inside dimensions and took the measurements to the home improvement center. They cut the piece of plywood for me. At home, I gave it a light sanding to get a smooth finish for the chalkboard paint. We screwed it into place.
I applied a stain blocker to the frame before painting. I love Americana Decor Chalky Finish Paints. Their products were used on the finish.
To hide the screws, we used a simple miter box to cut cove molding and nailed it into place. It gives a clean look. The paint finish was lightly distressed and clear wax applied.
It is definitely a conversation piece. I get asked a lot where I found such an unusual chalkboard. It's a one of a kind piece. Let's just say, I have a couple of other coffee tables hanging out in the attic.

Christy @ Our Southern Home

• Debra

beautiful chalkboard-but like a few before me-I would have kept it as is -

• Pammy

Here's an idea... Would the legs of the table fit under the menu board? you could top it with glass or wood something like a plant stand or serving station; or some other complementary fun thing beneath ~ its old friend the top. . .