Becky W
Becky W
  • Ballwin, MO

DIY Vertical Herb Garden ~ Part 1

Here's my big project for the spring!... well, at least the start of it. I've been dying for an herb garden the last few years and finally decided I would make it happen.
diy vertical herb garden part 1, container gardening, gardening, homesteading, how to, woodworking projects
I originally found a vertical garden at the store that I loved but there's no way I was going to pay a couple of hundred for one though!
I started by lining up six of the 1x6x6s. I measured the width of the 6 boards together and cut a 1x4 down to the right size to create the back of the Garden. I repeated the process at the opposite end.
To create the sides I repeated that same process as the back using 2 of my 1x6 boards for each side. Now it was time to attach the 3 pieces together.
It all came together surprisingly easy! I cut down 1x4s and attach along the sides and back on the inside of the Garden. These will support the shelves. I cut four of my 1x6s down to lay across for the shelves at the top and bottom, two on top and two on bottom.
Now the tricky part.... building the shelves that will hold the pots at an angle. To make it easy on myself I decided to tilt them at 45° angles. I cut the 1x2s down to about 9 inches {so they're about an inch shorter than the shelves" and screwed them into place. I allowed a few inches between each shelf.
I cut down the 1x10s to fit within the Garden but there's an important step to take before attaching them in the Garden. Time to cut out some circles. I'll provide some tips for doing this in my Part 2 post.
Becky W

• Hannah V

Wow this is quite the project! Bravo- can't wait to see it filled with herbs! :)

• Arif Khalil

Inspiring!
    The main sheet at the back, if removed, would allow more light to interact and lesser need to move the 'hollow cabinet'